• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

What is the electric field at a point 4 cm from the axis of a cylindrical shell?

• Thread starter pcml100
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A cylindrical shell of radius 9.9 cm and length 286 cm has its charge density uniformly distributed on its surface. The electric field intensity at a point 23 cm radially outward from its axis (measured from the midpoint of the shell ) is 44800 N/C.
Given: ke = 8.99 × 10^9 N · m^2/C^2,

What is the electric field at a point 4 cm from
the axis?

Homework Equations

E = (Keq)/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I kind of don't even know where to start

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

First get hold of some good book and clarify the theory part. Then think of attempting the problem.

Thanks for your incredibly helpful and polite answer Einstein. I figured it out, it just confused me because I had done around 15 problems by the time I got to this one so I was exhausted. This forum has some really stuck up people if I may say so...

you may say so....
I didnt mean to be 'impolite'. So i do apologize!!

I kind of don't even know where to start
[/b]
But next time before posting a problem, try it out at least an hour, and give a decent attempt to the solution. The mentors will help you to figure out where you have done a mistake, or where you are stuck!!

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Thanks for your incredibly helpful and polite answer Einstein. I figured it out, it just confused me because I had done around 15 problems by the time I got to this one so I was exhausted. This forum has some really stuck up people if I may say so...
However, Most people who post questions asking for help are actually polite. A few are not so polite.