What is the electric field at a point 4 cm from the axis of a cylindrical shell?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
pcml100
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A cylindrical shell of radius 9.9 cm and length 286 cm has its charge density uniformly distributed on its surface. The electric field intensity at a point 23 cm radially outward from its axis (measured from the midpoint of the shell ) is 44800 N/C.
Given: ke = 8.99 × 10^9 N · m^2/C^2,

What is the electric field at a point 4 cm from
the axis?

Homework Equations



E = (Keq)/r2

The Attempt at a Solution



I kind of don't even know where to start
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First get hold of some good book and clarify the theory part. Then think of attempting the problem.
 
Thanks for your incredibly helpful and polite answer Einstein. I figured it out, it just confused me because I had done around 15 problems by the time I got to this one so I was exhausted. This forum has some really stuck up people if I may say so...
 
you may say so...
I didnt mean to be 'impolite'. So i do apologize!

pcml100 said:
I kind of don't even know where to start
[/b]
But next time before posting a problem, try it out at least an hour, and give a decent attempt to the solution. The mentors will help you to figure out where you have done a mistake, or where you are stuck!
 
pcml100 said:
Thanks for your incredibly helpful and polite answer Einstein. I figured it out, it just confused me because I had done around 15 problems by the time I got to this one so I was exhausted. This forum has some really stuck up people if I may say so...
However, Most people who post questions asking for help are actually polite. A few are not so polite.