What is the Electric Field at Point P Due to a Uniformly Charged Rod?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
glennpagano44
Messages
64
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Halliday and Resnick edition 7 chapter 22 number 29

In Fig 22-45, positive charge q = 7.81 pC is spread uniformly along a thin nonconducting rod of length L = .145m. The y distance between the point and rod is R = .06m. What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field produced at point P.

I will attempt to describe the figure:

There is a thin nonconducting rod in the x dimension with length L and a point P is directly above the center of the rod in the y dimension (R = .06m).

Homework Equations



E = (1/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex])(q/r[tex]^{2}[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\int[/tex]dE = 1/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex]Rdx/(R[tex]^{2}[/tex]+x[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{3/2}[/tex]
I then took lamba and R out of the integral since they are constants
(4 is not rasied to ([tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex])

After taking the integral I got:

([tex]\lambda[/tex]/4[tex]\pi\epsilon[/tex])(x/R(R[tex]^{2}[/tex]+x[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{1/2}[/tex]

When I plug in for the varibles I do not get the correct answer, I get 7.48 n/C but the correct answer is 12.4 N/C

I plug in L for x and R for R and for [tex]\lambda[/tex] I use q/L
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi glennpagano44! :smile:

(have a lambda: λ and an epsilon: ε and a pi: π and a square-root: √ :wink:)
glennpagano44 said:
After taking the integral I got:

([tex]\lambda[/tex]/4[tex]\pi\epsilon[/tex])(x/R(R[tex]^{2}[/tex]+x[tex]^{2}[/tex])[tex]^{1/2}[/tex]

No … how can you still have an x when you've just eliminated x by integrating over it?

And where did that extra R come from? :confused:
 
I went back to class today and I figured it out thanks a lot. I just integrated it wrong, I had to do some trig subsitutions. (that is where the extra R came from)