What is the Energy Efficiency of the Human Body for Weight Loss?

• Thread starter EternityMech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the potential energy law to calculate the number of joules and calories burned while climbing a 22.5m apartment building. The energy efficiency of the body is questioned, with the suggestion to assume it is 100% efficient. However, Google suggests an assumption of 20% efficiency, resulting in one trip up burning about 30 food calories. It is noted that a BigMac is equivalent to 16 trips up, highlighting the importance of proper diet in weight loss.
EternityMech
so I am going to use the potential energy law e=mgh to lose joules(fat) the problem is that what's the energy effiency of the body i can't find that anywhere. I am climbing a 22.5m apartment building and my weight is 114kgs (im not fat just big boned)

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not assume it's 100% efficient?

E = 114 * 9.8 * 22.5m = 25,000

1J = 0.24 calories

so 25,000J = 6000 Calories.

The bad news is that "calories" on a packet of food are actually kilocalories.

So one trip to the top burns just 6 food calories

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories.htm

Google suggest you should assume the body is about 20% efficient so multiply by 5. One trip up is about 30 food calories. Looks like a BigMac is about 490 food calories or 16 trips up.

Edit: Got to laugh. Google has already changed the banner advert I see at the top of the page from one adbertising solar panels to one advertising a weight loss system.

16 trips just for a bigmac?! no wonder everybody is fat.

Climbing stairs is incredibly tedious. You're better off doing something more enjoyable which you will commit to doing for a long period of time, and it's absolutely necessary to eat properly.

1. How does physics play a role in weight loss?

The laws of physics, specifically the laws of thermodynamics, dictate that in order to lose weight, one must burn more calories than they consume. This involves understanding the energy balance equation and using principles of physics to calculate and track calorie intake and expenditure.

2. What is the most efficient way to lose weight using physics?

The most efficient way to lose weight using physics is to create a calorie deficit through a combination of diet and exercise. By understanding the energy balance equation, one can determine the appropriate number of calories to consume and burn in order to reach their weight loss goals.

3. How can understanding physics help me make healthier food choices?

Physics can help you make healthier food choices by providing a scientific understanding of the energy content of different foods. By knowing the caloric content of foods and how much energy is required to burn them, one can make informed decisions about their diet and choose more nutritious options.

4. Can using physics help me maintain my weight loss in the long term?

Yes, understanding the principles of physics can help you maintain your weight loss in the long term. By tracking and balancing calorie intake and expenditure, one can continue to make healthy and sustainable choices to maintain their desired weight.

5. Are there any specific exercises that are more effective for weight loss according to physics?

According to the laws of physics, any form of exercise that burns more calories than are consumed can contribute to weight loss. However, high-intensity exercises such as interval training and weightlifting can be particularly effective in burning calories and building muscle, which can help increase metabolism and support long-term weight loss.