What is the Enthalpy and Internal Energy Change for a Thermochemical Reaction?

In summary, a reaction between 101.7g of N2 and 102.97g of O2 at T=25C and P=1atm results in the release of 533kJ of energy as heat. The reaction is exothermic and the change in enthalpy (\Delta H) is negative. The change in internal energy (\Delta U) is equal to zero due to the reaction occurring at constant temperature. The work done by the surroundings can be calculated by using the formulas for \Delta H and \Delta U.
peter444
[tex]N_2_{(g)} + \frac{5}{2}O_2 \longrightarrow N_2O_5 + \mathfrm 533 kJ energy[/tex]
533kJ energy is released as heat

We are given that 101.7g N2 , 102.97g O2 reacted. And this happens at T= 25C and P = 1atm

what is the delta H and delta U for this process per mol N2(g). And how much work is done by the surrounding?

Thanks
(H<- enthalpy , U<- internal energy of the system )
:confused:

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
First of all, you need to write the coefficients correctly for the reaction.

[tex]N_2_{(g)} + \frac{5}{2}O_2 \longrightarrow N_2O_5 + \mathfrm 533 kJ energy[/tex]

Then find the molar amounts of nitrogen and oxygen gas, by using N=14 and O=16 gram/mol.

If a thermal energy is given to the environment, then it is an exothermic reaction, thus [itex]\Delta H[/itex] must be negative, and must have the dimension [tex]\frac {mol}{L}[/tex].

I have no idea what [itex]\displaystyle \Delta U[/itex] is, so another friend will help you in the following days, I think.

Last edited:
chem_tr said:
First of all, you need to write the coefficients correctly for the reaction.

Then find the molar amounts of nitrogen and oxygen gas, by using N=14 and O=16 gram/mol.

If a thermal energy is given to the environment, then it is an exothermic reaction, thus [itex]\Delta H[/itex] must be negative, and must have the dimension [tex]\frac {mol}{L}[/tex].

I have no idea what [itex]\displaystyle \Delta U[/itex] is, so another friend will help you in the following days, I think.

i found the number of moles for each gas, but we are not given the volume;As you say [itex]\Delta H[/itex] = [tex]\frac {mol}{L}[/tex]. And how is -533kJ usefull in this problem?
Thanks

H = U + pv, so therefore [tex]\Delta H = \Delta U + \Delta (pV)[/tex]. First off, what is [tex]\Delta U[/tex]?

You can't find [tex]\Delta (pV)[/tex] directly. But for an ideal gas, what is pV equal to ?

Last edited:
For an ideal gas: PV=nRT
but how do I get U, (H=U+PV ) if i also need H

I just realized something, you say the reaction occurs at 1 atm and 25 C, so it is both a constant temperature and constant pressure reaction ?

1 mole of a gas = 24 L (24dm^3)

So you have your mass, so just change that into number of moles, then multiply by 24 L. That will find your Volume.

OK I don't know how you did on your test but

1) For an isothermal reaction for an ideal gas, [tex]\Delta U = C_v\Delta T[/tex] and since presumably [tex]\Delta T = 0[/tex], it follows that [tex]\Delta U = 0 [/tex]

2) Under constant pressure, [tex]\Delta H = q[/tex]. If you don't know what [tex]\Delta H[/tex] is, go back and look at the thermodynamics section in your first-year chemistry book.

3) Well now since you know q and [tex]\Delta U[/tex] , you can solve for w, right ?

Related to What is the Enthalpy and Internal Energy Change for a Thermochemical Reaction?

1. What is thermochemistry?

Thermochemistry is the branch of science that studies the energy changes that occur during chemical reactions and transformations.

2. What are some key concepts in thermochemistry?

Some key concepts in thermochemistry include heat, enthalpy, heat capacity, and Hess's law. These concepts help us understand the transfer and transformation of energy in chemical reactions.

3. How is thermochemistry related to thermodynamics?

Thermochemistry is a subset of thermodynamics, which is the study of energy and its transformations. Thermochemistry specifically focuses on the energy changes that occur in chemical reactions, while thermodynamics covers a broader range of energy transformations.

4. What are some real-world applications of thermochemistry?

Thermochemistry has many practical applications, such as in the production of energy, the design of efficient engines and power plants, and the development of new materials and chemicals. It is also crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of substances under different temperature and pressure conditions.

5. How can I prepare for a thermochemistry test?

To prepare for a thermochemistry test, it is important to review key concepts, equations, and calculations. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and to familiarize yourself with the various units and their conversions. Additionally, studying with a group or seeking help from a tutor can be beneficial.