What is the equivalent of Electric P.E. in Magnetism?

In summary: I'm sorry, I don't understand this. What does this mean?Wm= (1/2⋅μ0) ∫v B2dτThis is the energy stored in a magnetic field due to the presence of a magnetic dipole moment. We= (ε0/2) ∫v E2dτThis is the energy stored in an electric field due to the presence of an electric dipole moment.
userunknown
There is an analogy between electric and gravitational potential energy.
## U_g = \frac {GmM}{r}##
## U_e = \frac {kqQ}{r}##

What is the analogous formula in magnetostatics?

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
No.Not exactly. Since magnetic monopoles do not exist as such then a similar equation would be hard to get. But we can define a scalar potential which depends on the current loop producing the field such that B=-Vm (Like E = -V) where Vm=(μ0/4π)Ω⋅I and I is the current of the loop producing the field and Ω is the solid angle that the loop subtends at the field point where we wish to determine B. You should find a derivation in any intermediate EM text.

If magnetic monopoles did exist, then there would be a symmetry between electric and magnetic potentials.

If I understand it correctly, in theory magnetic monopoles could exist, or perhaps should exist, but all observations so far show no evidence that they do exist in this universe.

gleem said:
No.Not exactly. Since magnetic monopoles do not exist as such then a similar equation would be hard to get. But we can define a scalar potential which depends on the current loop producing the field such that B=-Vm (Like E = -V) where Vm=(μ0/4π)Ω⋅I and I is the current of the loop producing the field and Ω is the solid angle that the loop subtends at the field point where we wish to determine B. You should find a derivation in any intermediate EM text.
This is confusing. You said: magnetic scalar potential is analogous with electric potential.
But some sources say: magnetic vector potential is analogous with electrical potential.

Thanks for the answer but which one is true?

I mean it in the sense of Maxwells Equations:

upload_2015-4-10_18-15-30.png

Where ρ is electric charge density in the first equation and ρ is magnetic charge density in the second equation. The equations look symmetrical in that case, but it just happens that magnetic charge density is zero.

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-10_18-15-3.png
    upload_2015-4-10_18-15-3.png
    712 bytes · Views: 433
userunknown said:
But some sources say: magnetic vector potential is analogous with electrical potential.

Thanks for the answer but which one is true?

I used analogous in the manner that the magnetic scalar potential is related to the magnetic field through the gradient of a potential as is the electric field. The Vector potential obviously is a vector and is related to the magnetic field via a different vector operator i.e. the Curl. The difference between the two magnetic potentials is that the scalar potential is limited to points outside a conductor while the vector potential is not (like the electric potential). I don't think there is a particular question of truth or falsity about this issue. As I said originally "No. not exactly" because there is not an identical function for a magnetic field compared to an electric field since there is no magnetic charge.

Likes userunknown
gleem said:
I used analogous in the manner that the magnetic scalar potential is related to the magnetic field through the gradient of a potential as is the electric field. The Vector potential obviously is a vector and is related to the magnetic field via a different vector operator i.e. the Curl. The difference between the two magnetic potentials is that the scalar potential is limited to points outside a conductor while the vector potential is not (like the electric potential). I don't think there is a particular question of truth or falsity about this issue. As I said originally "No. not exactly" because there is not an identical function for a magnetic field compared to an electric field since there is no magnetic charge.
Thank you.

I have just one more question. Can we derive magnetic potential energy formula from magnetic scalar potential, like we can do in electrostatics?

I'm searching this topic, I have seen this formula, as magnetic potential formula:
$$ U = -\vec m\cdot \vec B $$
Can we derive this potential energy formula from scalar potential?

Thanks again for help...

userunknown said:
I'm searching this topic, I have seen this formula, as magnetic potential formula:
U=−m⃗ ⋅B⃗​
U = -\vec m\cdot \vec B
Can we derive this potential energy formula from scalar potential?

U = - M⋅B is specific for a magnetic dipole moment in a magnetic field just like the potential energy for an electric dipole moment U= - p⋅E in an electric field.

The actual energy stored in a magnetic field is

Wm = (1/2⋅μ0) ∫v B2

while that for an electric field is

We = (ε0/2) ∫v E2

gleem said:
U = - M⋅B is specific for a magnetic dipole moment in a magnetic field just like the potential energy for an electric dipole moment U= - p⋅E in an electric field.

The actual energy stored in a magnetic field is

Wm = (1/2⋅μ0) ∫v B2

while that for an electric field is

We = (ε0/2) ∫v E2

But if we take Vm=(μ0/4π)Ω⋅I as a potential, based on the analogy between B=-Vm and E = -V, there must be a magnetic potential energy formula based on magnetic scalar potential(Vm=(μ0/4π)Ω⋅I) . Right?

Actually not. At lest not to my knowledge. The derivation of Ue assumes an electric charge, so since there is no magnetic charge the derivation for magnetic PE cannot include any self energy of a "charge " distribution using Vm. However you can calculate a PE of a magnetic field using the vector poteriial since this can include the current distribution like the Ve does for the charge distribution in the electric PE.

Likes userunknown
gleem said:
As I said originally "No. not exactly" because there is not an identical function for a magnetic field compared to an electric field since there is no magnetic charge.

As an aside, there actually is. But it takes a little cheating, and then the non-physical magnetic charge has to be gauged-away. This is accomplished with a complex vector potential.

1. What is Electric P.E.?

Electric P.E. stands for Electric Potential Energy. It is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field.

2. What is the equivalent of Electric P.E. in Magnetism?

The equivalent of Electric P.E. in Magnetism is Magnetic Potential Energy. It is the energy that a magnetized particle possesses due to its position in a magnetic field.

3. How is Magnetic Potential Energy different from Electric Potential Energy?

Magnetic Potential Energy is different from Electric Potential Energy in that it involves the interaction between magnetic fields and magnetic particles, whereas Electric Potential Energy involves the interaction between electric fields and charged particles.

4. Can Magnetic Potential Energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, Magnetic Potential Energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or heat. This conversion can occur when a magnetized particle moves in a magnetic field or when a magnetic field changes in strength.

5. What is the unit of measurement for Magnetic Potential Energy?

The unit of measurement for Magnetic Potential Energy is Joules (J), which is the same unit used for Electric Potential Energy.