What is the error in finding the volume of a cap of a sphere using integration?

  • Thread starter Thread starter samee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sphere Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 11K views
samee
Messages
58
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the volume of a cap of a sphere with radius r and height h.
A picture of it is given here;
http://sjc.ilrn.com/ilrn/bca/user/appletImage?dbid=1276286560



Homework Equations


The area of a circle is [tex]\pi\[/tex]r^2



The Attempt at a Solution


So I flattened the sphere into a circle and solved me equation for x;
x=sqrt(r^2-y^2)
Then I rotated it around the y-axis and integrated to find;
[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{h}{r}[/tex](r²-y²)dy= [tex]\pi[/tex]((1/3)h³+(2/3)r³-hr²)

But the computer program I do my homework on tells me that it wrong. Now I'm confused. What did I do wrong?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As h->0 the volume should go to zero, right? Does yours? That's a clue something is wrong. Look at your limits of integration again. Are they right?