What is the fastest substance for sound to travel in?

In summary, the conversation discusses the fastest substance in which sound can travel, with a focus on solids. The formula for calculating the speed of sound in solids is shared, along with examples of substances with high speeds of sound such as diamond and beryllium. The factors that affect the speed of sound, such as temperature and density, are also mentioned. The question of whether the frequency of sound affects its speed is raised, with the conclusion that it only changes at very high frequencies.
alexandrae
**this is not a homework question**

I need to know in which substance does sound travel fastest in. I know that sound travels faster when the medium is denser, therefore solids, however I would like to go more in depth. I've heard that it is iridium or hydrogen solid, but I can't get a definite answer. I was wondering if anybody knew for sure?

much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
In solids speed of sound = sqrt ( E / 3*density*( 1-2v) )

E is Young's modulus (the stiffness)
v is Possion ratio (a measure of how much the material expands sideways when you press it)

At a guess the fastest speed of sound would probably be in diamond - it's hard = stiff

mgb_phys said:
In solids speed of sound = sqrt ( E / 3*density*( 1-2v) )

E is Young's modulus (the stiffness)
v is Possion ratio (a measure of how much the material expands sideways when you press it)

At a guess the fastest speed of sound would probably be in diamond - it's hard = stiff

Speed of sound should be same as the propagation speed of a mechanical vibration in the medium, right?

would sound travel faster in an Einstein-Bose condensate.

jobyts said:
Speed of sound should be same as the propagation speed of a mechanical vibration in the medium, right?

Yes, remember that sound IS just a mechanical vibration (which happens to be in the audible range) so from a physical point of view there is no difference between the two.

hey I'm in eighth grade, can you give me some examples? How would I use the formulas you gave me to find out the answer? Is it a natural or manmade substance?

mgb_phys said:

Diamond also has a low density (3.5 g/cc), which helps.

elasticity increases the speed of sound. so metals will give highest speed of sound in them. not only this the temperature, pressure, density, and molecular wt. also play role.

Does the frequency of the sound matter?

jobyts said:
Does the frequency of the sound matter?

In the human range of audible sound, no.

However, what I remember from my solid state physics (taken 25-30 years ago), at frequencies where the sound wavelength is comparable to the distance between adjacent atoms the speed of sound does change.

I don't remember at what frequencies this typically happens, or whether the speed of sound becomes faster or slower ... perhaps somebody else knows?

To get a ballpark estimate, figure a speed-of-sound of 5000 m/s in a "typical" solid, and a wavelength of 0.2 nm:

f = v/λ = 5x103 / 2x10-10 Hz ~ 2x1013 Hz​

I.e., at frequencies corresponding to I.R. radiation we'd expect changes in the speed of sound.

FYI, I found this listing for speed of sound in some different materials. Berylium is 12.9 km/s, slightly higher than diamond (12 km/s)
http://hypertextbook.com/physics/waves/sound/

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What is the fastest substance for sound to travel in?

1. What is the speed of sound in a vacuum?

The speed of sound in a vacuum is 0 meters per second. Sound waves require a medium, such as air or water, to travel through, so they cannot travel in a vacuum.

2. How does the speed of sound vary in different substances?

The speed of sound varies in different substances due to their density and elasticity. The denser and more elastic a substance is, the faster sound waves can travel through it.

3. What is the fastest substance for sound to travel through?

The fastest substance for sound to travel through is solid steel, with a speed of approximately 5,960 meters per second. This is due to its high density and elasticity.

4. How does temperature affect the speed of sound in a substance?

Temperature has a direct effect on the speed of sound in a substance. As temperature increases, molecules in the substance move faster, allowing sound waves to travel faster. The opposite is true for decreasing temperatures.

5. Can the speed of sound in a substance be changed?

Yes, the speed of sound in a substance can be changed by altering its temperature, density, or elasticity. For example, increasing the pressure on a gas can increase its density and therefore increase the speed of sound through it.