What is the final pressure inside the thermos after dropping in a piece of iron?

• Thread starter spherical23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the problem involves a well insulated thermos bottle containing boiling liquid Nitrogen and gas at equilibrium. A 200 gram piece of iron at 25 degrees Celsius is dropped inside and the cap is sealed. The pressure inside the thermos after 5 seconds is unknown and needs to be calculated using gas laws and equations that take into account the change in temperature and volume caused by the addition of the iron. The time frame of 5 seconds is considered a relaxation period in which no changes occur.
spherical23

Homework Statement

A well insulated 2 liter thermos bottle contains 500 ml of boiling liquid Nitrogen, and the remainder of the thermos has Nitrogen gas at 1 atmosphere in equilibrium with the liquid. You drop a 200 gram piece of iron at 25 degrees Celsius inside and seal the cap. After 5 seconds, what is the pressure inside the thermos?

Homework Equations

[tex]\rho[/tex] liquid nitrogen = 810 kg/m3

[tex]\rho[/tex] iron = 7.87 g/cm3

PV = NkT

I think that I need more equations to solve the problem, but I don't know what they are.

The Attempt at a Solution

V total = 2 L = 0.002 m3

V liquid nitrogen = 500 ml = 500 * 10-3 L = 0.5 L = 0.0005 m3

before dropping the iron in: V nitrogen gas = 0.002 m3 - 0.0005 m3 = 0.0015 m3

V iron: [tex]\rho[/tex] = mV [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] 7.87 g/cm3 = 200g(V) [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] V = 0.03935 cm3 = 0.0003935 m3

after dropping the iron in: V nitrogen gas = 0.0015 m3 - 0.0003935 m3 = 0.0011065 m3

Tinitial of liquid nitrogen = boiling point at 1 atm = 77.2 K

Tinitial of iron = 25 degrees Celsius = 298 K

Pinitial of liquid nitrogen = Pinitial of nitrogen gas = 1 atm = 0.013 * 105 Pa

[tex]\Delta[/tex]t = 5 seconds

Pfinal = ?

I just don't know which equation to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to work out how much heat energy the iron gives up when cooled (assume final T of iron = LN2)
Assume this energy goes into boiling extra LN2.
Work out how much extra N2 this generates.
Then it's just gas laws for the pressure.

The 5 seconds is tricky, are you sure about that part? Unless you are expected to calcualte heat diffusion rate from the iron it's irrelevant.

thanks, i will give that a try and then reply again when i come up with something. i think the 5 seconds is just enough for relaxation time so that we don't have to worry about anything during the relaxation time.

1. What causes the pressure inside a thermos?

The pressure inside a thermos is caused by the gas molecules from the hot liquid inside. As the liquid heats up, the gas molecules begin to move faster and collide with the walls of the thermos, creating pressure.

2. Does the pressure inside a thermos change over time?

Yes, the pressure inside a thermos can change over time. As the hot liquid cools down, the gas molecules slow down and collide with the walls less frequently, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

3. Will the pressure inside a thermos increase if I shake it?

Yes, shaking a thermos can increase the pressure inside. This is because the gas molecules will collide with the walls more frequently, creating more pressure inside the thermos.

4. How does the pressure inside a thermos affect the temperature of the liquid inside?

The pressure inside a thermos can help to maintain the temperature of the liquid inside. The higher the pressure, the less heat can escape from the thermos, keeping the liquid hotter for longer.

5. Is it safe to open a thermos with high pressure inside?

No, it is not safe to open a thermos with high pressure inside. The sudden release of pressure could cause the liquid inside to spray out and potentially cause burns. It is recommended to wait for the thermos to cool down or to slowly release the pressure before opening it.