Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What is the finger print region of an IR spectrum?

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    hello
    i was just wondering what is considered to be the finger print region in an IR spectrum. Is there a range of wavenumbers which are designated as the finger print region?

...let me clarify um so a C-O bond in an ether (and maybe alcohol) is suppose to have a peak in the 1000-1200cm^-1 region and i also know that many other functional groups absorb in this region as well.

and i just did a question where I looked at an IR spectrum and based on everything decided that it contained an ether, aldehyde and a secondary amine. however the solution says the molecule is an aldehyde.

it explained that the part i thought was an amine as just an impurity from water or a hydrate, but it didn't explain the ether peaks at 1000-1200cm-1. is that because anything before 1500cm-1 is considered the fingerprint region? or is the peak suppose to look different like in that region for it to be an ether like broad or something (like in O-H stretch in alcohols or carboxylic acids) or am i just looking too much into it, since this is organic chem 1

below is a picture of the IR spectrum I was looking at
    http://i.imgur.com/r9qw2.jpg

thank you:)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2017 #2

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Typically anything under 1000 cm-1 is considered to be the fingerprint region, but sometimes the region of the spectrum you were looking at (which you thought was an ether) can include a lot of alkyl bends and wags as well.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted