1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate new IHD after finding a molecule in IR spec

1. Mar 19, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Lets say i have C5H10O.. The IHD is (5x2+2-10)/2 = 1 IHD

So now i use my IR chart and i determine i have ketone

Now i want to find the new IHD and also figure out what other atoms i have left. So i need to subtract C5H10O by ketone and figure out the new IHD.

2. Relevant equations
    Given formula: CcHhNnOoXx

IHD = 0.5 * [2c+2-h-x+n]

3. The attempt at a solution

So for ketone, my guess would be either subtracting CO from the original formula or subtracting C2H3O then calculating the new IHD which would be either

C5H10O - C2H3O = IHD 0.5 which doesn't make sense
    C5H10O - CO = IHD 0, which does make sense, but is it correct

And you might say i don't need to calculate it for this problem, but i just want to know for in the future because for some problems finding the new IHD is useful...

My question is: What am i supposed to subtract exactly? And not just for this example but, lets say i have aldehyde, do i just subtract the CO or do i subtract CHO

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2017 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

???

4. Mar 19, 2017 #3
    Isn't that was ketone is? A CO and a CH3 = C2H3O

5. Mar 19, 2017 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Try to draw a C2H3O molecule.

6. Mar 19, 2017 #5
    I think i might have figured it out. So for ketones and aldehydes, its just CO. For carboxylic acids and esters its CO2. For amides its CON.. and so on

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted