What is the Force Exerted by a Ball Against a Wall Supported by a Thin Wire?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter poorfish10
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball Force Wall
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
poorfish10
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I am having trouble figuring out how to start this problem, I have a free body diagram, but I am not sure which equation to use to help me solve for this, please help!

A solid form 42 kg ball of diameter 32 cm is supported against a vertical frictionless wall using a thin 30cm wire of negligible mass, how hard does the ball push against the wall?

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
poorfish10 said:
I am not sure which equation to use to help me solve for this, please help!
The ball is not accelerating so you can use Newton's first law (sum of the forces = 0).
 
yes, but the center of the ball (where the mass is to be assumed) is 16cm away from the wall. so you have a triangle that is a=16 b=43.1 c=46, don't you ave to take that into account?