Avg. Acceleration of ball against a wall with two velocities

In summary: You're doing it the more precise way...though it is relatively the same as saying 1850m/s/s to the left (the negative indicates to the left).
shizupple
I searched the forum before posting and couldn't seem to find anything on the acceleration off a wall that wasnt dealing with force as well.

Homework Statement

A tennis ball with a velocity of +9.6 m/s to the right is thrown perpendicularly at a wall. After striking the wall, the ball rebounds in the opposite direction with a velocity of -5.2 m/s (to the left). If the ball is in contact with the wall for 0.008 s, what is the average acceleration of the ball while it is in contact with the wall?

Vi=9.6m/s
Vf=-5.2m/s
t=.008s

Homework Equations

Aavg = Vf-Vi / Tf-Ti
Vf = Vi+a(Tf-Ti)

The Attempt at a Solution

9.6-5.2 / .008 = 550 m/s^2 left ?
I realize that answer is nowhere close to correct. I must be using an incorrect formula because its dealing with the wall. If anyone could guide me to a correct formula that would be awesome! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is actually correct (unless the book says it isn't). Collisions produce a large amount of force that varies through a small interval of time (this, I think, could be modeled under the Dirac delta). However, the force varies throughout the time interval, so the acceleration upon leaving the wall is probably not 550 m/s^2; this value, however, looks to be the average acceleration across the time interval (which is what you're asked for).

If you want to look this sort of thing up under the forums or anywhere else, it would usually fall under impulse or momentum.

Hmm well i tried entering 550 (m/s^2) left (on webassign) and it said the 550 was wrong but the direction was correct? I just don't see how it can be accelerating at 550 m/s^2 when it is pretty much in contact with the wall?

Sorry about that - I didn't do the math so I overlooked it...your method is correct, but remember that the final velocity is in the opposite direction of the initial, so the two values should have opposite signs. It looks like the actual answer is even larger than 550m/s^2.

shizupple said:
Hmm well i tried entering 550 (m/s^2) left (on webassign) and it said the 550 was wrong but the direction was correct? I just don't see how it can be accelerating at 550 m/s^2 when it is pretty much in contact with the wall?

Try to think of the amount of force needed to send a ball coming at you at 10m/s in the opposite direction with a speed of 6m/s all in the range of .008s.

Last edited:
we haven't talked about force yet. I'm in a high school honors physics class. there shouldn't need to be anything dealing with force in this problem though should there? its just acceleration? and are you saying i need to change the sign on the 550 or i need to do (9.6+5.2)/.008 = 1850? And the time interval is not .008s, that is the time it is in contact with the wall.

shizupple said:
we haven't talked about force yet. I'm in a high school honors physics class. there shouldn't need to be anything dealing with force in this problem though should there? its just acceleration? and are you saying i need to change the sign on the 550 or i need to do (9.6+5.2)/.008 = 1850? And the time interval is not .008s, that is the time it is in contact with the wall.

(9.6+5.2)/.008 = 1850 - this is right (and the direction is to the left). Just know that the ball accelerated from 9.6m/s in one direction to 5.2m/s in the opposite direction in a time interval of .008s.

Wow! This is amazing. I would have never thought that was right. Thats crazy to think that its accelerating at 1850 m/s^2 in .008s. Thanks for your help!

shizupple said:
Wow! This is amazing. I would have never thought that was right. Thats crazy to think that its accelerating at 1850 m/s^2 in .008s. Thanks for your help!

Why wouldn't it be (-5.2m/s - 9.6m/s)/(.008s)= -1850m/s/s. The negative tells you it's to the left. Am I wrong for thinking this way?

pr0blumz said:
Why wouldn't it be (-5.2m/s - 9.6m/s)/(.008s)= -1850m/s/s. The negative tells you it's to the left. Am I wrong for thinking this way?

You're doing it the more precise way...though it is relatively the same as saying 1850m/s/s to the left (the negative indicates to the left).

hello shizupple! i read through the post and in the 1st post you said acceleration off the wall. personally i think its the wrong concept if you are using projectile motion to solve this problem. I think the question is trying to ask something like F=I/t where I is impluse. Although you get the same answer but i believe that is the correct concept just my 20c ::biggrin::

semc said:
hello shizupple! i read through the post and in the 1st post you said acceleration off the wall. personally i think its the wrong concept if you are using projectile motion to solve this problem. I think the question is trying to ask something like F=I/t where I is impluse. Although you get the same answer but i believe that is the correct concept just my 20c ::biggrin::

Oh ok. Well we haven't talked about any of that yet. I'm just in a high school honors physics class.

1. What is the formula for average acceleration?

The formula for average acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time elapsed.

2. How does acceleration affect the motion of the ball?

Acceleration affects the motion of the ball by changing its velocity over time. If the acceleration is positive, the ball will speed up; if it is negative, the ball will slow down.

3. Can the average acceleration be negative?

Yes, the average acceleration can be negative. This means that the ball is slowing down, either because of a negative initial velocity or a negative acceleration.

4. How does the velocity of the ball impact the average acceleration?

The velocity of the ball impacts the average acceleration by determining the direction of the acceleration. If the initial and final velocities have the same direction, the acceleration will be positive; if they have opposite directions, the acceleration will be negative.

5. How does the time elapsed affect the average acceleration?

The time elapsed affects the average acceleration by determining how quickly the velocity changes. If the time elapsed is longer, the acceleration will be smaller, and if it is shorter, the acceleration will be greater.