What is the Force on Charge B Due to Charges A and C?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
euphoriax
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Three charges A, B and C with charges respectively +3.2 x 10-6 C and -7.8 x 10-6 C are placed as seen in the diagram. What is the force on B because of A and C?

Homework Equations



FE=kq1q2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution



dAB = 2.5m
dCB= 1.5m
k= 9.0x109 Nm2/c2

FAB= kq1q2/r2
= (9.0x109)(3.2x10-6)(41.4x10-6)/(2.5)2
= 0.19 N

FCB= kq1q2/r2
= (9.0x109)(-7.8x10-6)(41.4x10-6)
= -1.29 N

from here on, I'm not really sure what I am supposed to do...
any help would be aprreciated

thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't show the diagram, nor list the charge on B (I assume it's 41.6 uC) but you need to find the direction of the resultant vector.