What is the formula for a magnetic field due to a finite wire with current?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
meaghan
Messages
15
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



A rectangular loop with dimensions 4.20 cm by 9.50 cm carries current I. The current in the loop produces a magnetic field at the center of the loop that has magnitude 3.60×10−5T and direction away from you as you view the plane of the loop.

Homework Equations


b = mu_0 I L/ 4pi*r ,where l is (a/bsqrt(a^2+b^2)) and
(b/asqrt(a^2+b^2));
a = .042m
b = .095m

The Attempt at a Solution


i think i just put the given values into the equation, then solve for I, but I'm not sure if I'm setting it up right
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First write out the general formula for a magnetic field due to a finite wire with current. The formula you write there is not correct.