What is the formula for velocity in SHM using differentiation?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a formula for velocity in simple harmonic motion (SHM). The characteristics of SHM are displacement (x) and time (t), and the formula for displacement is x = Asin(wt). The formula for velocity is V = dx/dt, and to find this, the chain rule must be used on the derivative of sin(wt) with respect to time.
happyjoe
Hey there, this should be a very simple problem, but again, I haven't had much guidance in finding formulas with differentiation. If anyone could help me with this i'd greatly appreciate it as it can help me to understand the others.

Characteristics of SHM are displacement (x) and time (t)

x = Asin(wt)

Velocity, V = dx/dt

Find a formula for velocity in SHM.

Im really confused as to what they're looking for.

Could it be that I simply need to do this?

ACos(w[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]t)?

Physics news on Phys.org
happyjoe said:
Hey there, this should be a very simple problem, but again, I haven't had much guidance in finding formulas with differentiation. If anyone could help me with this i'd greatly appreciate it as it can help me to understand the others.

Characteristics of SHM are displacement (x) and time (t)

x = Asin(wt)

Velocity, V = dx/dt

Find a formula for velocity in SHM.

Im really confused as to what they're looking for.

Could it be that I simply need to do this?

ACos(w[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]t)?

First a "differential" or "derivative" is NOT a "differential equation". I am moving this to "Calculus".

I don't see how you got the "x" inside the cos like that!

V= dx/dt= d(sin(wt))/dt. Now use the chain rule.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the general form of the differentiation formula?

The general form of the differentiation formula is dy/dx = lim (h->0) [(f(x+h) - f(x)) / h], where dy/dx represents the derivative of a function f(x) with respect to x.

2. How is the differentiation formula used to find the slope of a curve?

The differentiation formula is used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point by taking the derivative of the function at that point. The derivative represents the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point.

3. Can the differentiation formula be applied to all types of functions?

Yes, the differentiation formula can be applied to all types of functions, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions.

4. What is the difference between the differentiation formula and the derivative?

The differentiation formula is the general form for finding the derivative of a function, while the derivative is the specific value of the slope of the tangent line at a given point on the curve.

5. How is the differentiation formula related to the concept of rate of change?

The differentiation formula is directly related to the concept of rate of change, as the derivative of a function represents the rate of change of that function at a specific point. This rate of change can be interpreted as the instantaneous rate of change, or the slope of the curve at that point.