What is the function of the diode in the TL431 equivalent diagram?

  • Thread starter Thread starter likephysics
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Diagram Equivalent
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
likephysics
Messages
638
Reaction score
4
The TL431 is a widely used as reference for voltage regulation.
But in some cases there is a R and a C in the TL431 loop. I googled for the euivalent diagram, its an opamp with a reference and a diode in the feedback loop(+ve terminal of opamp and Cathode).
I don't understand the function of the diode in the feedback loop and across the output transistor (across Anode/Cathode).
 
Attachments
  • tl431eq.jpg
    tl431eq.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 435
Engineering news on Phys.org
I would guess they are to protect against reverse polarity connections, or transient conditions at switch on and off which could take the "ref" voltage outside the range of the anode-cathode voltage.