What is the function rule for f(x,y) in terms of s and t?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving showing that the point (0, 0) is a saddle point for a function f. The problem involves using a function w that is a function of x, y in the first equation and a function of s, t in the second equation. The conversation discusses two methods for solving the problem: making replacements and dealing with the function directly, or using the chain rule. The moderator also clarifies that r is a constant in the problem.
beaf123
<Moderator's note: Moved from homework forum for the general question what it means. For the saddle point question, please re-post it in the homework section, but show us some effort and where you stuck.>

I have been given that
upload_2018-3-17_15-49-12.png

and that

upload_2018-3-17_15-42-30.png

Then I am asked to show, by contradiction, that the point (0, 0) is a saddle point for f.

First my problem is that I have never seen that w is a function x and y in the first equation and a function of s and t in the second equation. How can I insert the second equation into the first?

I am not sure if I have provided enough information, but scream out if you miss something.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-17_15-41-59.png
    upload_2018-3-17_15-41-59.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 477
  • upload_2018-3-17_15-42-21.png
    upload_2018-3-17_15-42-21.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 486
  • upload_2018-3-17_15-42-30.png
    upload_2018-3-17_15-42-30.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 791
  • upload_2018-3-17_15-49-12.png
    upload_2018-3-17_15-49-12.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 758
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is essentially just composing functions. For example if you have ##f(x)= x^{2}## and ##g(x) = \cos{x}## then ##f(g(x)) = \cos ^{2}{x}##. Here of course there are two variables involved and the functions are a little bit more complicated.

beaf123 said:
<Moderator's note: Moved from homework forum for the general question what it means. For the saddle point question, please re-post it in the homework section, but show us some effort and where you stuck.>

I have been given that
View attachment 222164

and that

View attachment 222163

Then I am asked to show, by contradiction, that the point (0, 0) is a saddle point for f.

First my problem is that I have never seen that w is a function x and y in the first equation and a function of s and t in the second equation. How can I insert the second equation into the first?

I am not sure if I have provided enough information, but scream out if you miss something.

Just replace ##s## by ##x^2## and ##t## by ##x y^2## when you write the formula for ##w(s,t)##.

There are essentially two ways of doing this problem.
(1) Make the replacements above and then deal directly with the function ##f(x,y)## in all its gory detail.
(2) Use the chain rule:
$$\frac{\partial w}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial w}{\partial s} \frac{\partial s}{\partial x}
+ \frac{\partial w}{\partial t} \frac{\partial t} {\partial x}, $$
etc.

Method (2) gets increasingly messy when we go to second derivatives, so if I were doing it I would use Method (1).

beaf123 said:

##w## is a function. Full stop. ##x, y, s, t## are all dummy variables. You could replace them with any other symbols you like.

Likes K Murty
beaf123 said:

I have been given that
View attachment 222164

and that

View attachment 222163

You write ##w(s,t) = t \cdot (e^{rs} - rs - 1)##.

Is that accurate, or does it contain a "typo"? That is, do you just have some other parameter ##r## involved in the definition of ##w##---exactly as you wrote it---or should the ##r## on the right really be ##t##?

Likes PeroK
Thank you fro your answers. I tried to do it with (1) Make the replacements above and then deal directly with the function f(x,y) in all its gory detail. And hopefully I did it right.

It is provided that r>0, so it is just a constant.

Related to What is the function rule for f(x,y) in terms of s and t?

What is a function rule?

A function rule is a mathematical equation that relates two variables, typically denoted as x and y. It describes how the value of one variable changes in relation to the other variable.

What is the purpose of a function rule?

The purpose of a function rule is to represent a relationship between two variables in a concise and organized manner. It allows us to make predictions and solve problems using mathematical formulas.

How do you write a function rule?

To write a function rule, you need to determine the relationship between the two variables and then express it using mathematical symbols and operations. The general form of a function rule is y = mx + b, where m represents the slope or rate of change and b represents the y-intercept.

What is the difference between a function rule and a function?

A function rule is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between two variables, whereas a function is a set of ordered pairs that follow a specific rule. In other words, a function rule is a general representation of a function, while a function is a specific set of inputs and outputs.

How do you determine if a relationship is a function?

To determine if a relationship is a function, you can use the vertical line test. If a vertical line can be drawn through any point on the graph and only intersect that graph at one point, then the relationship is a function. Another way to determine if a relationship is a function is to check if every input (x-value) has a unique output (y-value).