What is the graph of the function with an initial value problem of 2.2.21?

In summary, the conversation was about a tikz graph that was originally authored by Klazs van Aarsen. The person discussing the graph attempted to modify it by scaling it to 0.6 and only including the (x,y) coordinates where the slopes were vertical lines and the endpoints of the curve. They also expressed gratitude to Klazs for the original graph.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
this had ahttps://mathhelpboards.com/threads/2-2-21-ivp.27772/ but wanted to add tikz graph

orifinally authored by Klazs van Aarsen

\begin{tikzpicture}%[scale=.6]
[declare function = {radius(\phi)=sqrt((3*sin(\phi)+cos(\phi)) / (sin(\phi)^3 -cos(\phi)^3)); },]
% \draw[help lines] (-3,-2) grid (3,4);
\draw[->] (-3,0) -- (3.4,0);
\draw[->] (0,-2) -- (0,4.2);
%\draw foreach \i in {-3,...,3} {(\i,-0.1) node[fill=black!5,below] {$\i$}};
%\draw foreach \i in {-2,...,4} {(-0.1,\i) node[fill=black!5,left] {$\i$}};
\draw[domain=50:{atan(-1/3)+179.99}, variable=\phi, red, smooth, ultra thick] plot ({radius(\phi) * cos(\phi)}, {1 + radius(\phi) * sin(\phi)});
\draw[domain=-130:{atan(-1/3)-0.01}, variable=\phi, red, smooth, ultra thick] plot ({radius(\phi) * cos(\phi)}, {1 + radius(\phi) * sin(\phi)});
\end{tikzpicture}

Ok I tried various modifications to this but tried to scale the graph to .6
and only put (x,y) where the slopes are vertical line and endpoints of the curve

Much Mahalo

Physics news on Phys.org
to Klazs for the original graph.\begin{tikzpicture}[scale=.6][declare function = {radius(\phi)=sqrt((3*sin(\phi)+cos(\phi)) / (sin(\phi)^3 -cos(\phi)^3)); },]% \draw[help lines] (-3,-2) grid (3,4);\draw[->] (-3,0) -- (2.4,0);\draw[->] (0,-2) -- (0,3.2);%\draw foreach \i in {-3,...,3} {(\i,-0.1) node[fill=black!5,below] {$\i$}};%\draw foreach \i in {-2,...,4} {(-0.1,\i) node[fill=black!5,left] {$\i$}};\draw[domain=50:{atan(-1/3)+179.99}, variable=\phi, red, smooth, ultra thick] plot ({radius(\phi) * cos(\phi)}, {1 + radius(\phi) * sin(\phi)});\draw[domain=-130:{atan(-1/3)-0.01}, variable=\phi, red, smooth, ultra thick] plot ({radius(\phi) * cos(\phi)}, {1 + radius(\phi) * sin(\phi)});\draw (0,1) -- (2.15,3);\draw (0,3) -- (-2.15,1);\end{tikzpicture}

1. What is a graph of a function?

A graph of a function is a visual representation of the relationship between the input values and output values of a function. It is typically drawn on a coordinate plane with the input values on the x-axis and the output values on the y-axis.

2. What does the x-axis represent on a graph of a function?

The x-axis on a graph of a function represents the input values, also known as the independent variable. These are the values that are plugged into the function to determine the corresponding output values.

3. What does the y-axis represent on a graph of a function?

The y-axis on a graph of a function represents the output values, also known as the dependent variable. These are the values that are the result of plugging in the input values into the function.

4. How do you plot points on a graph of a function?

To plot points on a graph of a function, you must first identify the coordinates of the points by plugging in the input values into the function to find the corresponding output values. Then, you can plot these points on the coordinate plane and connect them to create the graph.

5. What can a graph of a function tell us?

A graph of a function can tell us several things, including the domain and range of the function, the behavior of the function (increasing or decreasing), the x-intercepts and y-intercepts, and the overall shape of the function.