What is the hybridization of the nitrogen atom in aniline?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ashu2912
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hybridization
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
Ashu2912
Messages
106
Reaction score
1
Hey friends, can someone tell me the hybridization of the nitrogen atom in aniline? I think it should be sp3 but I am not sure. Also, should all atoms in the molecule be planar to satisfy the planarity rule for aromaticity?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ashu2912 said:
Hey friends, can someone tell me the hybridization of the nitrogen atom in aniline? I think it should be sp3 but I am not sure. Also, should all atoms in the molecule be planar to satisfy the planarity rule for aromaticity?

Atoms do not "have" a unique hybridization. It's only a description. A description in terms of sp2 or sp3 will be equally good in the case of aniline.