Determining hybridization in a compound

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of hybridization and its various types, including sp, sp2, and sp2d. The individual also raised questions about the existence of sp2d hybridization and the methods for determining the type of hybridization in a compound. The conversation also touched upon the use of hybridization in explaining molecular bonding, and the conditions for it to be applicable. Through further discussion, it was revealed that copper tetra amine exhibits sp2d hybridization.
fireflies
I've got several following questions on hybridization?

1) How many kinds of hybridization are there? Like sp, sp2,
Is sp2d is possible? Give examples.

2) How can we determine what kind of hybridization exist in atoms of a compound? I know several techniques but those seem like shortcut technique to me. I am not sure if they are true for any compound. Is there any absolute/general rule?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
fireflies said:
Is sp2d is possible?

Have you tried googling for "sp2d hybridization"?

Until now, no.. I just searched in books.

Just now I googled. Same result as book. Here, given sp2d hybridization, even its orbital pic, but not finding any examples. (Other than a guy askin' for reasons of sp2d in copper tetra amine, if this surely is? Nd only 1 example? If it is due to this hybridization is very rare or generally not happens at all singly an exception?)

And I must've mentioned. I am not talking about (n-1)dnsnp2, rather talking about nsnp2(n+1)d. Another webpage, gave an unclear mention and example, maybe it mixed up both he hybridization

Took me less than a minute to find examples using google. You know, google shows more than one result, and "sp2d hybridization" are not the only keywords you can use. Just try harder.

And what about the second question? I know two rules-

1. Draw the molecular structure and calculate the lone pair+bonds (not a good rule of course as its not possible to knoe the structure of all compounds)

2) {valence electron of central atom-(charge of the compound) + no. of monovalent atoms}/2
But I am not sure is it true for all compounds

Not (n-1)dnsnp2, not even (n-1)p2(n-1)dns,

SPECIFIED
nsnp2(n+1)d
Where you've skipped one p-orbital to make the hybridization.

Are you really sure? I haven't found it yet. Not even copper tetra amine is its example as copper electronic configuration won't allow to.

But still trying to search it

fireflies said:
I've got several following questions on hybridization?

1) How many kinds of hybridization are there? Like sp, sp2,
Is sp2d is possible? Give examples.

2) How can we determine what kind of hybridization exist in atoms of a compound? I know several techniques but those seem like shortcut technique to me. I am not sure if they are true for any compound. Is there any absolute/general rule?
1) There is a continuum of possible hybridizations between the ones you mentioned. E.g. if you have an s and a p orbital, if you mix them equally you get two sp hybrids, but you can also form an s orbital with just a little of p admixture and a p orbital with just a little of s admixture.
2) Hybridization does not "exist". I is a model to describe the bonding in molecules and in most of the cases models with different or no hybridization give similar results.
Hybridization is useful to get an explanation e.g. for the bonding in methane, which would be more difficult to explain using un-hybridized orbitals.
There are two conditions for hybridization to be useful: a) the atomic orbitals forming the hybrid should be of similar energy.
b) The two orbitals should be of approximately the same size.

a) rules out the use of hybrids in molecules like H2O or HF, because in O and F, the energetic difference between s and p is very large. It also rules out the use of d-orbitals in main group compounds.
b) This rules out the use of s and p hybridization in higher main group compounds as those of Si or P.

That makes sense to me..

But yet any example found where bond is explained by nsnp2nd?

(I'm sorry as I wrote previously (n+1)d, but cannot edit)

DrDu said:
1) There is a continuum of possible hybridizations between the ones you mentioned. E.g. if you have an s and a p orbital, if you mix them equally you get two sp hybrids, but you can also form an s orbital with just a little of p admixture and a p orbital with just a little of s admixture.

And what is the basic difference when there is equal portion of s and p, or more s less p or vice versa? All the three are the same sp, right?

fireflies said:
And what is the basic difference when there is equal portion of s and p, or more s less p or vice versa? All the three are the same sp, right?
In terms of the wavefunctions ##\psi_s## and ##\psi_p##, the wave functions of the two sp hybrids are ##\psi^{(1)}_{sp}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_s+\psi_p)## and ##\psi^{(2)}_{sp}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(-\psi_s+\psi_p)##. But this is only a limit of the continuum ##\psi^{(1)}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+a^2}}(\psi_s+a\psi_p)## and ##\psi^{(2)}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+a^2}}(-a\psi_s+\psi_p)##, where a=0 corresponds to no hybridization and a=1 to the choice of sp hybrids. In a linear molecule A-B-C, the optimal hybridization for atom B will correspond to a value 0<a<1, in general.

DrDu said:
In terms of the wavefunctions ##\psi_s## and ##\psi_p##, the wave functions of the two sp hybrids are ##\psi^{(1)}_{sp}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_s+\psi_p)## and ##\psi^{(2)}_{sp}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(-\psi_s+\psi_p)##. But this is only a limit of the continuum ##\psi^{(1)}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+a^2}}(\psi_s+a\psi_p)## and ##\psi^{(2)}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+a^2}}(-a\psi_s+\psi_p)##, where a=0 corresponds to no hybridization and a=1 to the choice of sp hybrids. In a linear molecule A-B-C, the optimal hybridization for atom B will correspond to a value 0<a<1, in general.

Actually I just completed high school, not yet familiar with wave function as it is out of my syllabus. I think I must learn more to get the point you wrote in answer to my question.

At last I found out the answer of my thread in a book. Copper tetra amine is sp2d actually.

Why it is not dsp2 but sp2d in real is also explained, but not uploading as the book is not in english.

Cisplatin is also a nice example as it is of tremendous value in chemotherapy.

What is hybridization in chemistry?

Hybridization in chemistry refers to the mixing of atomic orbitals to form new hybrid orbitals. This process occurs when atoms bond together to form molecules, and it helps to explain the shape, geometry, and bonding properties of molecules.

How do you determine the hybridization of an atom in a compound?

The hybridization of an atom in a compound can be determined by counting the number of electron domains (lone pairs or bonds) around the atom. The number of electron domains corresponds to the type of hybridization: sp for 2 electron domains, sp2 for 3 electron domains, and sp3 for 4 electron domains.

What is the difference between sp, sp2, and sp3 hybridization?

The main difference between these types of hybridization is the number of electron domains that are involved. In sp hybridization, there are 2 electron domains, in sp2 there are 3 electron domains, and in sp3 there are 4 electron domains. This results in different geometries and bond angles in molecules.

Can you determine the hybridization of an atom based on its molecular geometry?

Yes, the molecular geometry of a molecule can provide clues about the hybridization of its constituent atoms. For example, a molecule with a trigonal planar geometry will likely have sp2 hybridization on its central atom.

What is the importance of understanding hybridization in chemistry?

Understanding hybridization is important in chemistry because it helps us to predict the properties and reactivity of molecules. It also allows us to understand the shapes and bond angles of molecules, which are crucial for understanding their physical and chemical properties.