What is the integral of xe^-x?

• Thread starter Grimertop90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral of xe^-x is -(x+1)e^-x + C, and can be solved using the integration by parts method. The constant of integration is necessary to account for all possible solutions to the integral. The integral cannot be simplified further and has many real world applications in fields such as physics, economics, and finance.
Grimertop90
I feel really dumb for not remembering this... I'm drawing a total blank as to the antiderivative of xe-x or how to find it. Do I need to use a u substitution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try integration by parts.

Let u= x, dv= e-xdx.

You can also compute the intergal of exp(-a x) and then differentiate w.r.t. the parameter a.

1. What is the integral of xe^-x?

The integral of xe^-x is -(x+1)e^-x + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve for the integral of xe^-x?

To solve for the integral of xe^-x, we can use the integration by parts method. We let u = x and dv = e^-x, and then apply the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du.

3. What is the significance of the constant of integration in the integral of xe^-x?

The constant of integration is necessary because when we take the derivative of -(x+1)e^-x, we get xe^-x. However, when we take the derivative of -(x+1)e^-x + C, the C term becomes 0 and we are left with xe^-x, which is the original function we started with. Therefore, the constant of integration accounts for all possible solutions to the integral.

4. Can the integral of xe^-x be simplified further?

No, the integral of xe^-x cannot be simplified further. It is already in its simplest form, -(x+1)e^-x + C.

5. Are there any real world applications of the integral of xe^-x?

Yes, there are many real world applications of the integral of xe^-x. One example is in physics, where the integral can be used to solve for the displacement of an object given its acceleration and initial velocity. It is also commonly used in economics and finance to calculate the present value of future cash flows.