What is the Intel Distribution for Python and how can it improve data analysis?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a "distribution" in the context of Python, specifically the Intel Distribution and Anaconda from Continuum Analytics. The person is interested in using Python for numerical and data analysis and wants to know if they can utilize the Intel Distribution on their current computer with an AMD CPU and MSI GPU. They also mention not being familiar with applications like SciPy and NumPy and asks how to check if they have the Intel Distribution or how to install it via conda. It is explained that a distribution is simply an installation package for a company's version of a software type, and that Anaconda is a distribution from Continuum Analytics similar to the Intel Distribution. The conversation also briefly mentions acquiring a distribution by downloading it
Jamison Lahman
Hello,
I am relatively new to Python. I would really like to use Python for numerical and data analysis. I recently stumbled upon something called Intel Distribution from this article: http://www.infoworld.com/article/31...n-distribution-turbocharges-data-science.html
I don't really know what a distribution is in this context. It sounds promising and I would like to hear if anyone has more knowledge on this. I have an AMD CPU and MSI GPU on my tower which I hope to replace soon for an Intel chip and Nvidia GPU. Will I be able to utilize this Intel Distribution in the meantime?

Thanks

Edit: I already have anaconda installed (though I'm not sure I have it configured correctly.
when I run $ python, it gives me "Python 3.6.1 |Continuum Analytics, Inc.| (default, May 11 2017, 13:08:54)" so I imagine it's working. I am not yet familiar with applications like SciPy or NumPy so I haven't tested those. How should I go about checking if I have this Intel Distribution or installing via conda?

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
A "distribution" is just the installation package. It's how a company distributes its software, or in this case it's version of a software type. Lots of companies distribute Python.

The quantecon website has some lectures on Python and the anaconda distro from Comtinuum

https://lectures.quantecon.org/py/getting_started.html

Last edited:
Likes Jamison Lahman
phinds said:
A "distribution" is just the installation package. It's how a company distributes its software, or in this case it's version of a software type. Lots of companies distribute Python.
o0)
So Anaconda is a distribution from Continuum Analytics and is analogous to this Intel Distribution?
I am sure the answer will be in Jedi's link which I will read in a second, but how might I go about acquiring this Math Kernel Library via anaconda?

Generally you acquire a distribution by going to the site and clicking on "download".

phinds said:
Generally you acquire a distribution by going to the site and clicking on "download".
Haha I meant within anaconda but thanks. It seems that MKL is already installed with anaconda https://www.continuum.io/blog/developer-blog/anaconda-25-release-now-mkl-optimizations

If I write a python script, all I do is start with "import mkl" and it runs faster?

1. What is Intel Distribution for Python?

Intel Distribution for Python is a package that includes the standard Python interpreter, along with additional libraries optimized for Intel processors. It is designed to improve the performance and scalability of Python applications, making them more efficient and faster to run.

2. How is Intel Distribution for Python different from standard Python?

Intel Distribution for Python includes additional libraries such as NumPy, SciPy, and scikit-learn that are optimized for Intel processors. This can result in significant performance improvements for scientific computing tasks. It also includes tools for parallel processing and data analytics.

3. Is Intel Distribution for Python free to use?

Yes, Intel Distribution for Python is free for personal and commercial use. It is available for download from the Intel website and can be used on any Intel-based system.

4. What are the benefits of using Intel Distribution for Python?

The main benefits include improved performance, scalability, and parallel processing capabilities. It also provides access to a wide range of optimized libraries and tools for scientific computing and data analytics. Additionally, it is regularly updated and supported by Intel.

5. Can I still use standard Python libraries with Intel Distribution for Python?

Yes, you can still use standard Python libraries with Intel Distribution for Python. The additional libraries included in the distribution are optimized versions of the standard libraries, so you can choose which version to use based on your specific needs. You can also easily switch between the standard Python interpreter and the Intel-optimized interpreter.