Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What is the kinetic energy of particles in plasma

1. Mar 10, 2017 #1
    if i connect an electric current of 30 volts to argon gas to transform it to plasma, what is the average kinetic energy of the argon particles in that plasma?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

30 volt is a potential difference, not an electric current. If you just have two electrodes with 30 volts difference in an argon gas, nothing will happen (unless the electrodes are extremely close together).

4. Mar 10, 2017 #3

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Current is not measured in volts.

30 volts is not enough.
    Creating a gap of only 12 µm is not easy. You also need a vacuum.

The energy of the particles in the plasma depends on the distance from the arc. Energy considerations are also discussed in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschen's_law

You could do a much better job in phrasing your question. The usefulness of answers here is proportional to the quality of the question.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  5. Mar 10, 2017 #4
    Some basic physics... A voltage of 30volts will accelerate singly charged ions to provide kinetic energy of 30eV (about 50 x 10-19) joules

6. Mar 11, 2017 #5
    then how to make plasma with argon gas, i saw a couple of videos on the internet. could you please explain to me how this happens and how to do it?

7. Mar 11, 2017 #6
    i just want to know how to transform argon gas to plasma with electricity and calculate the average kinetic energy of that plasma?

8. Mar 11, 2017 #7
    and also can a container of argon gas at 10,000 psi be converted to plasma with electricity or plasma can't exist at high pressure? assuming the container can hold it and how much electricity should be applied to convert that much argon to plasma if possible?

9. Mar 11, 2017 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In general: a higher voltage can work.
    It can exist, but only at completely unreasonable temperatures (evaporating the container walls).

Don't ask x-y questions please.
    What do you actually want to do? Why do you want a high-pressure argon plasma?

10. Mar 11, 2017 #9
    i just couldn't understand why only plasmas exist in low pressure gases and why can't they be applied to a higher situation, i thought that plasma have limitation with pressure of the gas and the voltage passing through it but thanks to you i get it now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted