What is the length of Chromatosomal DNA?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tyto alba
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dna Length
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Tyto alba
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
I see various sources:
1. Karp- Cell biology
2. some papers
3. Michael M. Cox - https://books.google.co.in/books?id=HmUdBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA338&lpg=PA338&dq=200+bp+or+168+nucleosome&source=bl&ots=TKH1Om-oJc&sig=r3q8RX96zLEtElX5r273jlCDJqY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbm5HbyPLTAhVJuY8KHZkwAGkQ6AEIRzAI#v=onepage&q=200%20bp%20or%20168%20nucleosome&f=false
mention different values for the length of DNA associated with the nucleosomes (Octamer and H1); 168bp and 200bp. I'm a lost. Is there any paper that has settled this confusion once and for all?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Canonically, the nucleosome core particle wraps 147 bp. Varying studies come up with different numbers protected by the linker histone (H1), for example, see paragraph 6 of http://www.nature.com/nsmb/journal/v5/n12/full/nsb1298_1025.html. A very recent structure of the ncp + linker histone used 197 bp of DNA, so ~200 bp may be the more generally accepted number now: http://www.cell.com/molecular-cell/fulltext/S1097-2765(17)30268-X I do know that there has been controversy over how H1 engages the ncp, and I'm not sure whether the field sees the Mol Cell paper as a definitive answer or if other groups have data in the works to support other structural models.http://www.cell.com/molecular-cell/fulltext/S1097-2765(17)30268-X
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tyto alba, jim mcnamara and BillTre