1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the locus (unsure if this is the right word) defined by these equations?

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using the Ax+By+Cz+D= 0 equation for planes, where D = -(Axo, Byo, Czo)

Find the locus given by the equation if A and B = 0

note: I'm not 100% sure if locus is the right word, english isn't my primary language.

2. Relevant equations

Given above.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, if A and B = 0, the equations can be written as Cz+D = 0.

Which means z = -D/C = (0x + 0y Czo)/C = zo

Since we're in a 3 dimensions space, the way I see it both x and y are unrestricted and can take any values. Does that mean the locus defines a plane parallel to the X and Y axis, at a Z value of Zo?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2011 #2
    One more thing. The book gives an example, stating that if A=0 then the equation defines a plane parallel to the X axis. Shouldn't it say perpendicular, instead of parallel?

4. Sep 9, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your answer, that's it's a plane parallel to the X and Y axes, is correct. But why are you writing D = -(Axo, Byo, Czo)? That looks like a vector to me. That doesn't make sense, a form like Ax+By+Cz+D=0. D should be a scalar, i.e. a simple number.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  5. Sep 9, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The plane z=1 is parallel to x axis, isn't it? That has A=0.

6. Sep 9, 2011 #5
    Yes sorry, I meant D = - (Axo + Byo + Czo),

A,B and C being the components of the normal vector N=(A,B,C)
    and xo, yo, zo being the coordinates of a point on the plane Po:(xo,yo,zo).

7. Sep 9, 2011 #6
    Yeah I noticed my mistake after posting that. I somehow misunderstood A=0 for x=0. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook