What is the locus (unsure if this is the right word) defined by these equations?

• Thread starter tamtam402
  • Start date
In summary, the equation for planes, Ax+By+Cz+D=0, can be simplified to Cz+D=0 when A and B are equal to 0. This represents a plane parallel to the X and Y axes at a Z value of Zo. The book incorrectly stated that the plane is parallel to the X axis, when it should be perpendicular. Additionally, the notation D = -(Axo, Byo, Czo) should be D = -(Axo + Byo + Czo), with A,B, and C representing the components of the normal vector and xo, yo, and zo representing the coordinates of a point on the plane.
tamtam402

Homework Statement

Using the Ax+By+Cz+D= 0 equation for planes, where D = -(Axo, Byo, Czo)

Find the locus given by the equation if A and B = 0

note: I'm not 100% sure if locus is the right word, english isn't my primary language.

Homework Equations

Given above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, if A and B = 0, the equations can be written as Cz+D = 0.

Which means z = -D/C = (0x + 0y Czo)/C = zo

Since we're in a 3 dimensions space, the way I see it both x and y are unrestricted and can take any values. Does that mean the locus defines a plane parallel to the X and Y axis, at a Z value of Zo?

Physics news on Phys.org
One more thing. The book gives an example, stating that if A=0 then the equation defines a plane parallel to the X axis. Shouldn't it say perpendicular, instead of parallel?

Your answer, that's it's a plane parallel to the X and Y axes, is correct. But why are you writing D = -(Axo, Byo, Czo)? That looks like a vector to me. That doesn't make sense, a form like Ax+By+Cz+D=0. D should be a scalar, i.e. a simple number.

Last edited:
tamtam402 said:
One more thing. The book gives an example, stating that if A=0 then the equation defines a plane parallel to the X axis. Shouldn't it say perpendicular, instead of parallel?

The plane z=1 is parallel to x axis, isn't it? That has A=0.

Dick said:
Your answer, that's it's a plane parallel to the X and Y axes, is correct. But why are you writing D = -(Axo, Byo, Czo)? That looks like a vector to me. That doesn't make sense, a form like Ax+By+Cz+D=0. D should be a scalar, i.e. a simple number.

Yes sorry, I meant D = - (Axo + Byo + Czo),

A,B and C being the components of the normal vector N=(A,B,C)
and xo, yo, zo being the coordinates of a point on the plane Po:(xo,yo,zo).

Dick said:
The plane z=1 is parallel to x axis, isn't it? That has A=0.

Yeah I noticed my mistake after posting that. I somehow misunderstood A=0 for x=0. Thanks for the help!

FAQ: What is the locus (unsure if this is the right word) defined by these equations?

What is the locus defined by these equations?

The locus is a set of points that satisfy a given condition or set of conditions. In other words, it is the path traced out by all the points that satisfy the equations.

How do you determine the locus of a set of equations?

To determine the locus, you need to find all the points that satisfy the given equations. This can be done by solving the equations simultaneously and finding the common solutions.

What are the different types of loci?

There are several types of loci, including linear loci, circular loci, quadratic loci, and exponential loci. Each type has its own unique properties and characteristics.

What is the significance of finding the locus in scientific research?

Finding the locus allows scientists to understand and describe the relationship between variables in a given system. This can help in making predictions, identifying patterns, and developing models to explain phenomena.

Can loci be represented graphically?

Yes, loci can be represented graphically by plotting the points that satisfy the equations on a coordinate plane. This can visually show the path traced out by the points and help in understanding the nature of the locus.

Back