What is the magnetic effect on an electric current.

In summary: There's no point in recharging them with a coil - it wouldn't do any good.The next one is, Do you know them amount of energy that can be produced per magnet. For example. A small wind turbine might have 10 magnets in it, and in its life time it could genererate 10 mW of energy. So 1mW per magnet. So would the amount of energy needed to bring it back to strength be more equal or less than 1mW of energy needed.
MrSponge
I was just wondering and I looked and couldn't find anything. I suppose i could experiment it my self but anyway.

If I had a wire with an electrical current flowing through, just say 10Amp; and I pass a magnet near the wire, would it slow the current down? Or increase the resistance? I know a solenoid has an effective resistance, that can be derived from its Inductance in Henries.

Also if there is an effect, would the effect be greater if I wrapped the wire in a coil around the magnet.

So I am asking, is there an effect? If so by how much? and how can it be calculated using equations?

Thanks for some future replies. :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
There will be no effect on the current, but the wire will deflect from its starting position.

Integral said:
There will be no effect on the current, but the wire will deflect from its starting position.

Ok, thank you for replying.

Ok so just for saying I have made a generator that has magnets in it. And I believe that magnets wear out overtime, therefore their effective pulling/pushing forces will decrease; meaning less power output. Could I then regenerate/magnetise said magnets if I removed them and placed them just say in a copper or/steel/iron pipe with wire wrapped around.

Am I right in thinking that if i got the current generated from the generator passed through a wire which is wrapped around a pipe with magnets in them it,would it re-magnetise the magnets to full potential, without reducing the current/voltage/power/watt generated from the generator? and would this over heat the wire ( obviously with current through it would) any further than it would without magnets in them.

I am only asking because If I were to build a generator, I would love to save any energy, than I can; so instead of re-magnetising the magnets in a different circuit with a separate power source, I could use the own generators electricity.

Also I am wrong about re-magnetising magnets this way what would the best way be, because I would think that the flowing current and magnetism the coil will create will re align the magnetic domains making the field stronger again.

Thanks for replying and replying in the future if you kindly would. :)

You have no hope of rejuvenating the sort of magnets you would want to put in any generator that you'd want to make; they require extremely high fields in their manufacture. But they do last a very long time if you don't actually bash them or roast them. There is no reason for them to get 'weaker' when used in the generator because they don't supply any energy - that is supplied by turning the handle.

Some generators use electromagnets. Automotive alternators and the massive ones used to generate mains electricity use electromagnets (field windings) because their field can be controlled and the output voltage regulated. Permanent magnets can be made with very high strength, these days, and are used in most small generators. They have a big advantage in that they need no electrical power to get them started!

sophiecentaur said:
You have no hope of rejuvenating the sort of magnets you would want to put in any generator that you'd want to make; they require extremely high fields in their manufacture. But they do last a very long time if you don't actually bash them or roast them. There is no reason for them to get 'weaker' when used in the generator because they don't supply any energy - that is supplied by turning the handle.

Some generators use electromagnets. Automotive alternators and the massive ones used to generate mains electricity use electromagnets (field windings) because their field can be controlled and the output voltage regulated. Permanent magnets can be made with very high strength, these days, and are used in most small generators. They have a big advantage in that they need no electrical power to get them started!

Ok, 2 questions, Would putting them in a coil to recharge them, work? Never mind how slightly.

The next one is, Do you know them amount of energy that can be produced per magnet. For example. A small wind turbine might have 10 magnets in it, and in its life time it could genererate 10 mW of energy. So 1mW per magnet. So would the amount of energy needed to bring it back to strength be more equal or less than 1mW of energy needed.

So if it does requiere more, would putting these depleted magnets in a coil be sufficient enough to saturate them?

MrSponge said:
Ok, 2 questions, Would putting them in a coil to recharge them, work? Never mind how slightly.

'Fraid not. It's all or nothing.

sophiecentaur said:
'Fraid not. It's all or nothing.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

It takes an enormous field to have any effect at all. Then they all go over with a bang and stay there. That's what makes a permanent magnet material different from iron.

Mr sponge you might want to familiarize yourself with magnetic terminology. Google can be you friend, it's just a matter of gettng some good buzzwords to search on.
Ty these two links for starters.
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/electromagnetism/magnetic-hysteresis.html
http://www.transtutors.com/physics-homework-help/magnetism/hysteresis.aspx

my hometown has a small magnet factory where i have watched them " charge" magnets. They do have some control over how strong they leave the magnet by how hard they 'push' it with the magnetizing coil.

Sophie is right it takes a large apparatus. One could be home-made , but you'll find today's magnetic materials are indeed permanent and very difficult to demagnetize. This was not always so. Pre WW2 most towns had a shop that could recharge the magnets in tractor ignition magnetos.

Regarding your original question - look up "Hall Effect".

old jim

jim hardy said:
Mr sponge you might want to familiarize yourself with magnetic terminology. Google can be you friend, it's just a matter of gettng some good buzzwords to search on.
Ty these two links for starters.
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/electromagnetism/magnetic-hysteresis.html
http://www.transtutors.com/physics-homework-help/magnetism/hysteresis.aspx

my hometown has a small magnet factory where i have watched them " charge" magnets. They do have some control over how strong they leave the magnet by how hard they 'push' it with the magnetizing coil.

Sophie is right it takes a large apparatus. One could be home-made , but you'll find today's magnetic materials are indeed permanent and very difficult to demagnetize. This was not always so. Pre WW2 most towns had a shop that could recharge the magnets in tractor ignition magnetos.

Regarding your original question - look up "Hall Effect".

old jim

Sorry, i am quite famillier with the terminology, I am studying it as part of my engineerring course at a A level. I was just wondiring if it would create resistance in i put a magnet in a coil. Or whether it would charge it at all.

I know that they say, if you want to make a bar magnet stronger you can use a neodymium magnet and stroke it with it so it would re align the domains. Therfore I believe that if i put a magnet in a coil, the current will re align the domains.

To be honest, since I started to learn about magnets, generators and motors, a help who knows a lot about electronics, were telling me stories of supposed magnetic motors that are perpetual. I know about the law of thermo dynamics and i have looked at a few videos and i was wondering if they mangaged it to spin with magnets without losing speed ( not imposible), I think where is the magnets getting the energy from. I know manetsism isn't energy as such, but it takes energy to make a magnet. So these machines rnt perpetual unless if they can generate enough electricity tht could eventually reharge the magnets when they have depleted.

Here is a video of such machine working and is well made and no hidden compartments. It lookos quit convincing, but I am just thinking what about when the magnets deplete.

So I am still asking the question how much energy is required to charge a magnet. Is it equal or less or more than needed to charge it in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the relationship between magnetic field and electric current?

The magnetic effect on an electric current is the phenomenon where a magnetic field is created around a conductor carrying an electric current. This magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of the current flow and its strength is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current.

2. How does the magnetic effect impact the behavior of an electric current?

The magnetic effect causes the electric current to experience a force, known as the Lorentz force. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the current flow. It is responsible for many important phenomena, such as the movement of electric charges in motors and the deflection of electrons in a cathode ray tube.

3. Can the magnetic effect be used to control or manipulate electric current?

Yes, the magnetic effect can be used to control and manipulate electric current. This is the basis of many technologies, such as electromagnets, generators, and transformers. By varying the strength and direction of the magnetic field, we can change the behavior of the electric current.

4. How is the magnetic effect related to electromagnetism?

The magnetic effect is a fundamental aspect of electromagnetism. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Electromagnetism explains the relationship between electricity and magnetism, and the magnetic effect is a manifestation of this relationship.

5. What are some real-world applications of the magnetic effect on electric current?

The magnetic effect has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in generators to produce electricity, in electric motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, and in transformers to change the voltage of an electric current. It is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines for medical diagnosis and in magnetic levitation (maglev) trains for transportation.