What is the magnetic permeability of clay?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
inventor1488
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am trying to apply the law of mixtures to a clay-steel magnetic composite. To determine the optimal ratio per unit mass I need the permeability of steel and clay and the density of steel and clay. The permeability permeability of steel and the density of steel and clay is easy enough to find. The permeability of clay is another story.

When I google it I usually find permeability in a "permeable by water" sense, not the "permeable by magnetism" sense.

Anyone have this value or know where to find it?

Thanks for ANY help you can provide!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi inventor1488! welcome to pf! :smile:

does this help? …

http://www.civil.iitb.ac.in/~dns/IACMAG08/pdfs/E13.pdf​
 
Last edited by a moderator:


tiny-tim said:
does this help? …
http://www.civil.iitb.ac.in/~dns/IACMAG08/pdfs/E13.pdf​

Why yes! Yes it does!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
in case you're wondering, i googled "magnetic permeability" of clay (with the quotes), and it was the third hit :wink:
 
You will get bizarre claims with the so-called "law" of mixtures. Magnetic flux needs a path to, sort of, percolate through you mix.

To the very least, you should apply proportions to the reciprocals of permeability. This will be less false.