What is the magnitude of gravity of a pendulum that is moved

In summary, the pendulum inside a grandfather clock runs slow by 89.0s per day when moved to a new location at the same temperature. The magnitude of the local acceleration due to gravity at the new location is 9.800 m/s^2.
BrandonSW
<< Mentor Note -- OP correctly re-posted schoolwork question in the HH forums; threads merged >>

The full question is: The pendulum inside a grandfather clock has a half period of 1.0000s at a location where the magnitude of the local acceleration of gravity is 9.800 m/s^2. The clock carefully is moved to another location at the same temperature and is found to run slow by 89.0s per day. What is the magnitude of the local acceleration due to gravity at the new location?

What I have so far:
Delta T = dT/dg * delta g
-(T/2g) * delta g = (dT/dg) * delta g
-(T/2g) = dT/dg

From here I am not sure what to do. Is a half period just T/2? Where should I go from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The full question is: The pendulum inside a grandfather clock has a half period of 1.0000s at a location where the magnitude of the local acceleration of gravity is 9.800 m/s^2. The clock carefully is moved to another location at the same temperature and is found to run slow by 89.0s per day. What is the magnitude of the local acceleration due to gravity at the new location?

What I have so far:
-(T/2g) = dT/dg

From here I am not sure what to do. Is a half period just T/2? Where should I go from here?

BrandonSW said:

What I have so far:
-(T/2g) = dT/dg

What is the period at the new location?
Yes, half is 1/2.

BrandonSW said:
Is a half period just T/2?
Yes.
BrandonSW said:
-(T/2g) = dT/dg
I assume you mean -T/(2g). Keep the right hand side as ΔT/Δg. What do you know about ΔT/T?

kuruman said:
Can you show us where you got this? How does the period depend on g?
What's the difference in your notation between "Delta T" and dT?
Yes, half a period is T/2.

Period depends on gravity because of different locations on Earth have different magnitudes of acceleration, correct? I thought that was the point to this problem. So as you change locations, acceleration due to gravity is different thus the period changes.

BrandonSW said:
Period depends on gravity because of different locations on Earth have different magnitudes of acceleration, correct? I thought that was the point to this problem. So as you change locations, acceleration due to gravity is different thus the period changes.
Sorry, I deleted my response because @haruspex is on it. Yes, that is the point of the problem. By "how" I meant what is the dependence of the g on the period. Anyway, you are in good hands.

kuruman said:
what is the dependence of the g on the period
From the equations in the OP, it looks like Brandon has dealt with that part. It remains to apply the last equation to the given data.

haruspex said:
From the equations in the OP, it looks like Brandon has dealt with that part. It remains to apply the last equation to the given data.
Alright awesome, so what am I solve for delta g?

BrandonSW said:
Alright awesome, so what am I solve for delta g?
Answer my question at the end of post #4.

haruspex said:
Answer my question at the end of post #4.
ΔT/T is just the initial T?

BrandonSW said:
ΔT/T is just the initial T?
No, T is the initial period, ΔT is the increase when the clock was moved. How does ΔT/T relate to the given information that it is...
BrandonSW said:
found to run slow by 89.0s per day

I can't figure out what deltaT/T relates to...

huffy said:
I can't figure out what deltaT/T relates to...
It means the fractional change in the period.

But how does that relate to us trying to find the acceleration due to gravity in this problem? Does deltaT/T=deltag? 89.0s/2, 2 being the full period since the half period is 1.0000s, gives us 44.5s, does that mean 44.5is our deltag?

huffy said:
Does deltaT/T=deltag?
No, that would make no sense dimensionally.
Rewrite Brandon's last equation in the original post as -T/(2g)=ΔT/Δg then rearrange it to find ΔT/T.

I rearange the problem to get ΔT/T=Δg/2g, but i get a negative on the intitial period below the ΔT.

huffy said:
I rearange the problem to get ΔT/T=Δg/2g, but i get a negative on the intitial period below the ΔT.
You mean, you get ΔT/(-T)? That's ok, but there is a more usual way of writing it. What is 2/(-1)?

1. What is the magnitude of gravity?

The magnitude of gravity refers to the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) and is dependent on the masses of the objects and the distance between them.

2. How is the magnitude of gravity of a pendulum calculated?

The magnitude of gravity of a pendulum is calculated using the equation: F = mg, where F is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that the pendulum is moving in a uniform circular motion.

3. Does the magnitude of gravity affect the motion of a pendulum?

Yes, the magnitude of gravity has a significant impact on the motion of a pendulum. A higher magnitude of gravity will result in a stronger force acting on the pendulum, causing it to swing with a faster velocity and a shorter period.

4. How does the magnitude of gravity change if the pendulum is moved?

The magnitude of gravity does not change if the pendulum is moved, as it is a constant force that is dependent on the masses and distance between objects. However, the motion of the pendulum may be affected by other factors, such as air resistance or the length of the string.

5. Can the magnitude of gravity be measured directly on a pendulum?

No, the magnitude of gravity cannot be measured directly on a pendulum. It is a calculated value that is dependent on other variables such as mass and distance. However, the motion of a pendulum can be used to indirectly determine the magnitude of gravity through experiments and calculations.