Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the magnitude of the Electric field inside a light wave?

1. Nov 21, 2006 #1
    I know the magnitude varys a lot, but I am just looking for some basic intuitive idea of light. Is the magnitude of light from my computer screen on the order of 10^6 N/C or more like 10^-6 N/C?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2006 #2
    Nevermind, I finally found it in my gen phys 2 book derived from the Intensity. 1300 W/m^2 ~ 1000 N/C
  4. Nov 22, 2006 #3
    I think the figure you quoted is the value for the intensity of light from the sun at a distance of 1 AU. But I'm not sure if that includes the entire EM spectrum, or just heat and visible light.
  5. Nov 22, 2006 #4

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Classically at least, the field can vary widely, a laser beam for example might have a huge E field (enough to induce air to ionise in some cases). The light from a star obviously has a much weaker E field. Note that the amplitude of the E field is related to the intensity of a light beam. To give you an idea in terms of numbers (in intensity), we can detect 10^-14 W/m^2 and produce 10^12 W/m^2 (as a conservative estimate), that's 26 orders of magnitude right there.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?