1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the maximum acceleration of this car on a concrete surface?

1. Mar 14, 2008 #1
    Two-thirds of the weight of a 1500 kg car rests on the drive wheels. What is the maximum acceleration of this car on a concrete surface?

(2/3) * 1500kg =1000kg
    but I need the force so I can find the acceleration. What do I do next?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The force would be provided by friction. What's the coefficient of static friction between the tires and the concrete?

4. Mar 14, 2008 #3
    I don't know the coefficient of friction. The question and all the information given is:
    Two-thirds of the weight of a 1500 kg car rests on the drive wheels. What is the maximum acceleration of this car on a concrete surface

5. Mar 14, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Without the coefficient of friction (or a guess at it) you cannot solve the problem. Look to see if it's given in another part of your text.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?