1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the meaning of the sum of tan A and rad A?

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    Today I was doing a homework that asked me to calculate the sum of some particular tangential acceleration and radial acceleration in a circular motion.

We all know clearly about the concepts independently, but I wonder what the physical meaning the sum of the two accelerations is? Or it is just a some kinda tool like math?

Thanks for reading

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Presumably they want the vector sum of those two orthogonal components, which gives you the total acceleration of the body.

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    so what is the physical meaning of the total acceleration?
    Is it something produced by the two accelerations' definitions?

5. Sep 28, 2009 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

It's the rate of change of velocity. Just the plain old regular acceleration that you've hopefully learned about before...

6. Sep 28, 2009 #5
    Basically, any particle undergoing a curved path has an acceleration (which is what allows it to curve) - the components of the acceleration could have been taken in any direction not orthogonal to the acceleration, but since we have a conceptual basis of perpendicular to the path and tangent to the path, its easier to give the components in terms of those directions.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook