What is the meaning of this: {x,0,0}/|x|^3 = (20^7, 50^6) ?

• Thread starter N_F
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a plot of the expression "{x,0,0}/|x|^3" on Wolfram Alpha and the resulting values of 5*10^6 to 2*10^7. The speaker is asking for an explanation of how Mathematica arrived at these numbers and the steps and calculation behind it.
N_F
What is the meaning of this: {x,0,0}/|x|^3 = (20^7, 50^6) ??

When I plug in this "{x,0,0}/|x|^3", here: http://www.wolframalpha.com/

...it plots some range for x=-1 to x=+1, and it plots values from 5*10^6 to 2*10^7.

What does that mean and where did those numbers come from? What is it that I wrote, what kind of function is that? What is the meaning of the result? What did Mathematica do? What is the actual calculation behind this, how can I obtain those numbers with pen and paper, what are the steps?

Physics news on Phys.org

If you don't know what you wrote, then I don't see how anyone else can make sense of it. Where did you see "{x, 0, 0}/|x|^3= (20^7, 50^6}"? Knowing the context might help us understand the notation.

HallsofIvy said:
If you don't know what you wrote, then I don't see how anyone else can make sense of it. Where did you see "{x, 0, 0}/|x|^3= (20^7, 50^6}"? Knowing the context might help us understand the notation.

I wrote this: {x, 0, 0}/|x|^3

That expression evaluated here: http://www.wolframalpha.com/

...produces the result as I described it. The question is if you know how did Mathematica arrive to that result, and if you do, then can you please explain the steps and calculation behind it?

The plot has a legend...

Hurkyl said:
The plot has a legend...

Yes, the legend says: "(x from -1 to 1)".

The question is, do you know how did Mathematica arrive to that result (5*10^6 - 2*10^7), and if you do, then can you please explain the steps and calculation behind it?

1. What does the notation {x,0,0}/|x|^3 represent in this equation?

The notation {x,0,0} represents a vector with three components: x, 0, and 0. The division by |x|^3 means that the vector is being scaled by the magnitude of x cubed.

2. How is the vector (20^7, 50^6) related to the equation?

The vector (20^7, 50^6) serves as the result of the equation. It is the value of the vector {x,0,0}/|x|^3 when x is raised to the 7th power and 50 is raised to the 6th power.

3. What is the significance of the exponent of 7 and 6 in the vector (20^7, 50^6)?

The exponents of 7 and 6 indicate the power to which 20 and 50 are being raised. This is important because it determines the magnitude and direction of the vector (20^7, 50^6).

4. Can this equation be simplified or rewritten in a different form?

Yes, the equation can be rewritten as {x,0,0}/|x|^3 = (20, 50)^6, where the vector (20, 50) is raised to the 6th power. This form may be easier to work with depending on the context of the problem.

5. What practical applications does this equation have?

This equation may be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to calculate the magnitude and direction of a vector, or to solve problems involving the relationship between vectors and scalar quantities.