Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the meaning of this: {x,0,0}/|x|^3 = (20^7, 50^6) ?

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1

N_F

What is the meaning of this: {x,0,0}/|x|^3 = (20^7, 50^6) ??

When I plug in this "{x,0,0}/|x|^3", here: http://www.wolframalpha.com/

...it plots some range for x=-1 to x=+1, and it plots values from 5*10^6 to 2*10^7.

What does that mean and where did those numbers come from? What is it that I wrote, what kind of function is that? What is the meaning of the result? What did Mathematica do? What is the actual calculation behind this, how can I obtain those numbers with pen and paper, what are the steps?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Re: What is the meaning of this: {x,0,0}/|x|^3 = (20^7, 50^6) ??

If you don't know what you wrote, then I don't see how anyone else can make sense of it. Where did you see "{x, 0, 0}/|x|^3= (20^7, 50^6}"? Knowing the context might help us understand the notation.

4. Apr 15, 2010 #3

N_F

I wrote this: {x, 0, 0}/|x|^3

That expression evaluated here: http://www.wolframalpha.com/

...produces the result as I described it. The question is if you know how did Mathematica arrive to that result, and if you do, then can you please explain the steps and calculation behind it?

5. Apr 15, 2010 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The plot has a legend....

6. Apr 15, 2010 #5

N_F

Yes, the legend says: "(x from -1 to 1)".

The question is, do you know how did Mathematica arrive to that result (5*10^6 - 2*10^7), and if you do, then can you please explain the steps and calculation behind it?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook