What is the meaning of this: {x,0,0}/|x|^3 = (20^7, 50^6) ?

• Thread starter N_F
  • Start date
N_F
What is the meaning of this: {x,0,0}/|x|^3 = (20^7, 50^6) ??

When I plug in this "{x,0,0}/|x|^3", here: http://www.wolframalpha.com/

...it plots some range for x=-1 to x=+1, and it plots values from 5*10^6 to 2*10^7.

What does that mean and where did those numbers come from? What is it that I wrote, what kind of function is that? What is the meaning of the result? What did Mathematica do? What is the actual calculation behind this, how can I obtain those numbers with pen and paper, what are the steps?

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

If you don't know what you wrote, then I don't see how anyone else can make sense of it. Where did you see "{x, 0, 0}/|x|^3= (20^7, 50^6}"? Knowing the context might help us understand the notation.

N_F

If you don't know what you wrote, then I don't see how anyone else can make sense of it. Where did you see "{x, 0, 0}/|x|^3= (20^7, 50^6}"? Knowing the context might help us understand the notation.
I wrote this: {x, 0, 0}/|x|^3

That expression evaluated here: http://www.wolframalpha.com/

...produces the result as I described it. The question is if you know how did Mathematica arrive to that result, and if you do, then can you please explain the steps and calculation behind it?

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

The plot has a legend....

N_F

The plot has a legend....
Yes, the legend says: "(x from -1 to 1)".

The question is, do you know how did Mathematica arrive to that result (5*10^6 - 2*10^7), and if you do, then can you please explain the steps and calculation behind it?