What Is the Mechanical Device That Uses a Ball Bearing on a Track?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 5K views
Voxynn
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know the name for a mechanical device where a ball bearing is made to go down a ramp, through loops, up and down pulleys etc, while moving on a metal rail?

My first thought was a Rube Goldberg device, but I don't think that's it.

Richard
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Voxynn said:
Does anyone know the name for a mechanical device where a ball bearing is made to go down a ramp, through loops, up and down pulleys etc, while moving on a metal rail?

My first thought was a Rube Goldberg device, but I don't think that's it.

Richard
Rube Goldberg refers to a complicated, the more complicated the better, for achieving a simple goal. I believe you're describing a Rube Goldberg device.

Enjoy -
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Voxynn said:
Does anyone know the name for a mechanical device where a ball bearing is made to go down a ramp, through loops, up and down pulleys etc, while moving on a metal rail?

My first thought was a Rube Goldberg device, but I don't think that's it.

Richard
I think the generic term for such a device is a kinetic sculpture.
 
Sounds like the old game "Mousetrap".



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMzbRkWGLv0
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The particular kinetic sculpture described sounds like it might be the "Gravitram".

Gravitram-OMSI-w-Shab.jpg
 
I'm wearing a ball bearing device right now.
 
Evo said:
Is this it janus?

Yep, that's what I'm thinking about, I just don't know if this is what the OP is looking for.
By the way, http://www.omsi.edu/" , the home of the original Gravitram is located right here in Portland, OR.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that kinetic sculpture can be considered a Rube Goldberg device, because the latter is a device meant to accomplish a simple task in a ridiculously complex fashion. Maybe a very complex gumball vending machine could be, but even then...

Anyway, it can't be bad any time the name of Reuben Lucius Goldberg is mentioned.

rube-goldberg.jpg
 
Janus said:
Yep, that's what I'm thinking about, I just don't know if this is what the OP is looking for.
By the way, http://www.omsi.edu/" , the home of the original Gravitram is located right here in Portland, OR.

I thought it looked familiar! My son and I saw it in action while visiting my brother. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator: