What is the metal(s) used in photoelectric experiments?

In summary: I thought XPS has been used on bandgap insulators as well.XPS works for basically any element except He, H. Obviously this is because X-rays have a hellofalot of energy. :smile:XPS is practically just a photoelectric experiment, because all you're doing is shooting X-rays at a target made of anything and measuring the kinetic energy of the ejected photoelectrons.
Oerg
My question is simple: What is the metal(s) used in photoelectric experiments?

Textbooks just put a tiny metal foil. Any answer would be appreciated. Thnx.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any metal...?Depends also on the radiation used,because the work differs from metal to metal,but it's in the "eV" range.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Any metal...?Depends also on the radiation used,because the work differs from metal to metal,but it's in the "eV" range.

Daniel.

you mean work function, right ?

marlon

Left.Chirality is a convention,remember...?:tongue2:

Daniel.

you have a strange sense of humour ,dexter

marlon, sinister

Hmmm...

What was the metals that Lenard and Millikan used in their experiments?

I know Millikan used sodium, but it was said thathe tried using different metals.

Also, why is it not possible to carry out the experiment with non-metals?

Oerg said:
What makes metals 'metallic' is that they give up their electrons easily, (thus making them conductive).

Oerg said:
With non-metals, you must also overcome the band-gap which can be several eV wide. So it would take more energetic (higher frequency) radiation...but it is possible.

Any metal can be used , but the main need is that the light ray or the wave which is incident should have sufficient frequency so as to overcome the work function of the metal used.

thnx for your replies, was just wondering why it isn't possible for non-metals to emit photoelectrons since it should be possible.

Oerg said:
thnx for your replies, was just wondering why it isn't possible for non-metals to emit photoelectrons since it should be possible.
answered in post #8

In fact, to emphasize this, let me add that (angle resolved) photo-electron spectroscopy has proven to be a most valuable experimental probe to study the band structure of insulators like the cuprates and the manganites.

Last edited:
Oerg said:

Take note that just because metals are typically used in a photoelectric effect experiment doesn't mean non-metals haven't been used. The band structure of semiconductors was verified using photoemission experiments. And there has been even photoemission done on "insulators" (not band insulators though).

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
And there has been even photoemission done on "insulators" (not band insulators though).

Zz.
I thought XPS has been used on bandgap insulators as well.

XPS works for basically any element except He, H. Obviously this is because X-rays have a hellofalot of energy. :smile:

Kane

To add to what I just said, XPS is practically just a photoelectric experiment, because all you're doing is shooting X-rays at a target made of anything and measuring the kinetic energy of the ejected photoelectrons.

Kane

Gokul43201 said:
I thought XPS has been used on bandgap insulators as well.

You're right. I should have qualified that statement by including the phrase "standard photoemission" to mean only those done within the visible range. UPS have been done on insulators as well, but mainly on Mott insulators.

Zz.

1. What is the metal used in photoelectric experiments?

The metal commonly used in photoelectric experiments is called a photocathode. It is typically made of materials such as cesium, potassium, or rubidium, which have a low work function and can easily emit electrons when exposed to light.

2. How does the choice of metal affect the results of a photoelectric experiment?

The choice of metal can significantly affect the results of a photoelectric experiment. Metals with lower work functions will require less energy to emit electrons, resulting in a higher photoelectric current. Additionally, different metals have different sensitivities to different wavelengths of light, which can also impact the results.

3. Are there any other materials besides metals that can be used in photoelectric experiments?

While metals are the most commonly used materials in photoelectric experiments, other materials such as semiconductors and insulators can also exhibit the photoelectric effect. These materials have different properties and can provide valuable insights into the nature of the photoelectric effect.

4. Can the choice of metal be changed during a photoelectric experiment?

Yes, the choice of metal can be changed during a photoelectric experiment. This can be done by replacing the photocathode or by using a metal with a different work function for the anode. This allows for the study of how different metals affect the photoelectric current under the same experimental conditions.

5. How do scientists determine which metal to use in a photoelectric experiment?

The choice of metal in a photoelectric experiment is based on several factors, including its work function, sensitivity to different wavelengths of light, and stability. Scientists may also choose to use a specific metal based on its properties in order to test a particular hypothesis or to compare it to previous experimental results.