Calculating Interest Rates for Loan of $735,000

• Thread starter Shakattack12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interest
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of interest rate for a loan with a principal of $735,000, a term of 25 years, and monthly repayments of $4,656.17. The formula for present value is provided and it is mentioned that the calculation cannot be solved analytically. The calculated APR of 5.823% is confirmed and the possibility of using Newton's method or expanding (1+i/12)^-300 using the binomial expansion is mentioned.
Shakattack12

Homework Statement

The problem ask to calculate the interest rate of a loan. The principal is $735 000, term is 25 years (300 months), and the repayments due is $4656.17/month.

i = interest rate, PV = present value, R = repayments

Homework Equations

PV = R x [(1+i/12)^300 - 1]/(i/12)

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to calculate the total interest to pay = $661 851
735000 = 4656.17 x [(1+i/12)^300 - 1]/(i/12)
13.155 = [(1+i/12)^300 - 1]/i
13.155i = [(1+i/12)^300 - 1]
13.155i + 1 = (1+i/12)^300
I realized that this may not be correct but I have no idea of what to do. I put this into an online calculator and it gave a value of 5.823% but I don't know how it got to it. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi I think you have written the formula of the future value. The present value would be $$\text{PV} = \frac{R}{(i/12)}\left[ 1 - \frac{1}{\left(1+\frac{i}{12}\right)^{300}} \right] $$ Now we can't solve this analytically, so use RATE function from Excel. I just checked the calculations, and I think your APR seems correct to me

Thanks so much. I thought as much after a few hours that this was impossible to solve manually.

Shakattack12 said:
Thanks so much. I thought as much after a few hours that this was impossible to solve manually.
Are you familiar with Newton's method for solving non-linear algebraic equations?

Shakattack12 said:
What do you get if you expand ##\left(1+\frac{i}{12}\right)^{-300}## using the binomial expansion and retaining only the first three terms?

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating interest rates for a loan?

The formula for calculating interest rates for a loan is: Interest Rate = (Interest / Principal) x 100. In this case, the principal is $735,000 and the interest is the amount of money paid to borrow the loan.

2. How do I determine the interest rate for a loan of $735,000?

The interest rate for a loan of $735,000 will depend on several factors, such as the duration of the loan, the type of loan (fixed or variable), and the borrower's credit score. It is best to consult with a financial advisor or lender to determine the specific interest rate for your loan.

3. What is the average interest rate for a loan of $735,000?

The average interest rate for a loan of $735,000 can vary depending on the factors mentioned in the previous answer. However, according to recent data, the average interest rate for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage is around 3.25%.

4. How does the loan term affect the interest rate for a loan of $735,000?

The loan term, or the duration of the loan, can have a significant impact on the interest rate for a loan of $735,000. Generally, a longer loan term will result in a higher interest rate, while a shorter loan term will have a lower interest rate. This is because lenders take on more risk with longer loan terms, and they may charge a higher interest rate to compensate for it.

5. Can I negotiate the interest rate for a loan of $735,000?

Yes, it is possible to negotiate the interest rate for a loan of $735,000. This can be done by shopping around and comparing offers from different lenders. It is also helpful to have a good credit score and a stable income to negotiate for a lower interest rate. Additionally, you can work with a mortgage broker who can negotiate on your behalf with multiple lenders.