What is the nature of the force of gravitation?

In summary: The summary is that gravity is a unique type of force that is attractive and conservative. It is one of the four fundamental forces in nature and is not related to electromagnetic force. The exact nature of gravity is still unknown but it is believed to be caused by the curvature of space-time due to the presence of mass. This can be represented by the rubber sheet analogy, but it is important to note that this does not fully explain the concept of gravity in General Relativity.
Syed Ammar
What is the nature of the force of gravitation? Is it electrostatic,magnetic or something else?
According to the law of gravity.. gravity exists between atoms to planets and planets to supernovae, How does gravitation occur?

If possible, don`t paste links of references...just quote them..
I`ll be much obliged..
Regards,
Ammar

Physics news on Phys.org
Something else.

Truth is we don't know for sure what causes gravity yet.

Gravity is one of the four fundamental forces, it's got nothing to do with electromagnetic force, just as electromagnetic force has got nothing to do with the strong force. That's why they're called fundamental - although some people hope to find a way to unify them all into different expression of one, even more fundamental force.

It's hard to tell what you mean by "nature" of the force. If it's a question about what it involves, just look at the equations.
By looking at Newton's law of gravity ##F=GMm/R^2##- it's acting between masses, is proportional to some constant(G), and falls down with the square of distance.
In the more accurate theory of General Relativity, gravity is the effect of the curvature of space-time, which in turn is caused by energy.
The difference between the two is well presented in the following clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdC0QN6f3G4

Syed Ammar said:
What is the nature of the force of gravitation? Is it electrostatic,magnetic or something else?
There are four fundamental forces in nature: Gravity, Electromagnetic, Weak force and strong force.
There is more to this: the weak and electro forces emerge as 'one' at a specific temp. etc.
So gravity is a unique type of force. It's nature is attractive. Conservative.
According to the law of gravity.. gravity exists between atoms to planets and planets to supernovae, How does gravitation occur?
Gravity is the force due to the virtue of masses between the two attracting bodies.
The origin of gravity is somewhat complex for me to explain. You can look up relativity for that. Just for an understanding, it's like when you keep two balls on a stretched membrane, they create a depression around them and they tend two move towards each other. For the real gravity this occurs in a 3 dimensional space - bending of space.
Here's a way to visualise it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTY1Kje0yLg
There are gravitational waves and associated gravitons that are linked to the origin of this force, best is to study the relativity.

Last edited by a moderator:
PhysicoRaj said:
Just for an understanding, it's like when you keep two balls on a stretched membrane, they create a depression around them and they tend two move towards each other. For the real gravity this occurs in a 3 dimensional space - bending of space.
Here's a way to visualise it:
https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&r...iYDoBg&usg=AFQjCNFeQERhoesTer7jtfj-REIk36CC-w
This is wrong. Gravity is the bending of space-time, not space. The membrane analogy, while very flashy and tempting, is breeding more misconceptions than it mangages to explain.
I can understand the pedagogical rationale for using the membrane - better to give students some, even if faulty, understanding, than none at all, and hope they'll get interested enough to get motivated to learn the proper thing - but I heartily disagree with this approach.

Bandersnatch said:
This is wrong. Gravity is the bending of space-time, not space.
Sorry, that was an unintended mistake. I forgot to add "time".
The membrane analogy, while very flashy and tempting, is breeding more misconceptions than it mangages to explain.
I can understand the pedagogical rationale for using the membrane - better to give students some, even if faulty, understanding, than none at all, and hope they'll get interested enough to get motivated to learn the proper thing - but I heartily disagree with this approach.

I just got the very first understanding of gravity this way and I liked it. I thought this would be a better way to understand gravity, but didn't know it heralds misconceptions.. can you throw some light on that?

PhysicoRaj said:
I forgot to add "time".
That is exactly the problem with the analogy. There is no time-dimension on the rubber-sheet, which represents just two spatial dimensions.

PhysicoRaj said:
but didn't know it heralds misconceptions.. can you throw some light on that?

See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_well#Gravity_wells_and_general_relativity

Here my summary from a previous thread:
A.T. said:
- Rolling balls on a rubber sheet can be used as a qualitative analogy for the gravity well (gravitational potential). That's why it gives the correct qualitative result. But that has nothing to do with explaining General Relativity and curved space-time, because it applies equally to Newtonian Gravity.

- The indented rubber sheet can be used as a qualitative visualization of the space (not space-time) distortion in General Relativity (Flamm's paraboloid). But that has has nothing to do with explaining how masses attract each other in General Relativity, which requires including the time dimension (space-time distortion). Flamm's paraboloid represents a distortion of spatial distances between coordinates, and could just as well be shown with the funnel upwards, so the rolling balls would give a wrong result. Therefore rolling some balls on the curved surface representing Flamm's paraboloid makes no sense.

- The local intrinsic curvature of space-time you are asking about is primarily related to tidal-effects, or gravity gradient.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot A.T., the man in my video specifies 'space-time' but mentions the membrane analogy is Einstein's picture of gravity, much opposite to what is in the wiki link of yours:
Both the rigid gravity well and the rubber-sheet model are frequently misidentified as models of general relativity, due to an accidental resemblance to general relativistic embedding diagrams and perhaps Einstein's employment of gravitational "curvature" bending the path of light, which he described as a prediction of general relativity.

PhysicoRaj said:
There are gravitational waves and associated gravitons that are linked to the origin of this force, best is to study the relativity.
At the moment, gravitons are entirely theoretical constructs that delicately walk the knife-edge precipice between the domains of scientific respectability and the shady world of hand waving.
Gravitational waves are a different phenomena...

Last edited:
PhysicoRaj said:
It more than did. Thanks:smile:

You're welcome. The video in post #3 above is an animated version of that top illustration.

A.T. said:
You're welcome. The video in post #3 above is an animated version of that top illustration.

Yes, I realized it as soon as I saw it. This was a completely new viewpoint of gravity for me.

Related to What is the nature of the force of gravitation?

1. What is the force of gravitation?

The force of gravitation, also known as the force of gravity, is a fundamental force of nature that exists between all objects with mass. It is responsible for the attraction between objects and is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun.

2. How does the force of gravitation work?

The force of gravitation works by exerting an attractive force between objects with mass. This force is directly proportional to the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them, as described by Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.

3. What causes the force of gravitation?

The force of gravitation is caused by the presence of mass. All objects with mass have a gravitational pull, but the strength of the force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them.

4. How does the force of gravitation differ from other forces?

The force of gravitation is unique in that it is always attractive and acts between all objects with mass, regardless of their size or distance. Other forces, such as electromagnetic and nuclear forces, can be either attractive or repulsive and have specific conditions for their interactions.

5. Can the force of gravitation be explained by a single theory?

Currently, there is no single theory that fully explains the force of gravitation. Our current understanding of gravity is described by Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime. However, this theory has limitations and does not yet fully reconcile with quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of subatomic particles.