What is the net advection of sensible and latent heat?

In summary, the Energy Balance equation for latent and sensible heat involves the advection of latent heat (Alat) and advection of sensible heat (Ah). Advection refers to the transport of these types of heat by a fluid, such as steam. In the context of air, advection of latent heat means water vapor is carried into the control volume, carrying the latent heat needed for potential evaporation. Advection of sensible heat involves the movement of air, with hot air bringing in more sensible heat and cool air taking less heat with it. H represents sensible heat flow through conduction, while Q represents net heat flow through radiation. The equation also includes terms for changes in sensible heat in the air, vegetation, and soil, as well
AppeltjeBosheuvel
I am looking at an Energy Balance equation (see images) for latent and sensible heat. However, I don't understand the terms 'advection of latent heat' Alat and 'advection of sensible heat' Ah. They positively enter the system, but how do they differ from latent and sensible heat itself?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 5.09.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 5.09.25 PM.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 571
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 5.09.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 5.09.19 PM.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 575
Science news on Phys.org
Advection means transported or carried by a fluid. So for example if you had some steam flowing in a pipe that condensed at it's destination you could say you had both the advection of latent heat and the advection of sensible/specific heat. Advection can also be used in other contexts such as the transport or advection of salt or freshwater or pollution etc

Thanks for your reply!

Advection of Latent Heat
So when it happens in air, does advection of latent heat mean that water vapor gets carried into the control volume? Cause it carries the latent heat needed to potentially evaporate? And when it does evaporate does it then leave the control system as 'regular' latent heat LvE?

Advection of Sensible Heat
One more question, how does sensible heat then get transported through air? I find it hard to imagine.

AppeltjeBosheuvel said:
So when it happens in air, does advection of latent heat mean that water vapor gets carried into the control volume?
Yes.
Cause it carries the latent heat needed to potentially evaporate? And when it does evaporate does it then leave the control system as 'regular' latent heat LvE?

No. Water vapour is water that has already been evaporated. So water vapour brings sensible and (if it condenses) latent heat into the control volume.

AppeltjeBosheuvel said:
One more question, how does sensible heat then get transported through air? I find it hard to imagine.

It's not "through air", its movement of the air. If hot air flows into a control volume it carries sensible heat with it. At the same time cooler air may flow out of the control volume taking less heat with it. The net heat flow into the control volume will be the difference between the two heat flows (and any others).

The reverse happens in your house in winter. Cold air comes in (ventilation) and warm air escapes. The heat loss by this advection is hopefully replaced by your heating system. Some houses like mine have a vent system with a heat exchanger to mitigate the problem by extracting heat from the outgoing air and using it to warm the incoming air.

Ok. I get that part now :D

Advection latent: is energy that moves with watervapor in air through advection. Watervapor has 'potential' latent heat that doesn't release until it condenses.
Advection sensible: is heat that moves with air through advection
LvC: when water condensate or evaporates within control volume.
LvE out: when latent heat associated with evaporation leaves the control (when watervapor leaves control volume)

And then how does advective sensible heat (Ah) differ from sensible heat (H)? Is H just sensible heat leaving the system in any other way than advective (with for example convection?).

Thank you!

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Convection would also be advection as the air is moving.

Where did you get the picture/diagram from? I think H might be radiated heat.

Got it from my the pdf atmospherebook. It states sensible heat is on left, latent heat on right. Also that H is sensible heat flux, Q net radiation, LvE latent heat flux (with Lv latent heat of evaporation). With storage of sensible heat in air, vegetation and soil on left, and only one type of latent storage on right.

So my interpretation would be:

On the left..
Heat flows..
Ah = Sensible heat carried into the control area (eg warm/cold winds)
Q = Net heat flow by radiation
H = Sensible heat flow by conduction
G = Sensible heat flow by conduction
Heat stores..
ΔSha = change in Sensible heat in the air (air temperature change)
ΔShv = change in Sensible heat in vegetation (veg temperature change)
ΔShs = change in Sensible heat in soil (soil temperature change)

On the right..
Heat flows..
Alat = Latent heat carried into the control area (water vapour)
LvE = Latent heat carried out of the control area (water vapour)
Heat stores..
ΔSlat = change in Latent heat in the air (change in humidity)

The arrows between the two sides..
LvCl-g = Heat converted between Sensible and Latent that stays in the control area (ice-water, water-vapour)

I'm not 100% certain about Alat and LvE. Why don't they just have one arrow indicating the net flow of latent heat.

What is the net advection of sensible and latent heat?

The net advection of sensible and latent heat refers to the overall movement of heat in the atmosphere due to advection, which is the transfer of heat by horizontal winds. This includes both sensible heat, which is the heat that can be felt or measured by a thermometer, and latent heat, which is the heat required to change the state of a substance (such as from liquid to gas).

What factors influence the net advection of sensible and latent heat?

Several factors can affect the net advection of sensible and latent heat, including wind speed and direction, temperature gradients, and moisture content in the atmosphere. These factors can vary at different levels in the atmosphere and can be influenced by local topography and weather patterns.

How is the net advection of sensible and latent heat calculated?

The net advection of sensible and latent heat is typically calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the atmospheric variables mentioned above. These equations are often used in computer models to predict weather patterns and can also be calculated using data collected by weather stations or satellites.

Why is the net advection of sensible and latent heat important to understand?

The understanding of net advection of sensible and latent heat is crucial for predicting and understanding weather patterns. It can also impact various industries, such as agriculture, energy production, and transportation, as changes in heat advection can lead to changes in temperature and precipitation patterns.

How does the net advection of sensible and latent heat relate to climate change?

The net advection of sensible and latent heat is closely related to climate change as changes in temperature and moisture content in the atmosphere can impact the Earth's overall energy balance. This can lead to changes in weather patterns and contribute to the overall warming of the planet, which is a key aspect of climate change.