What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Posty McPostface
- 27
- 8
Can someone provide an answer to a question I have, that seems half baked to me, before I start a thread.
Namely, in the MWI, every possible world is equally real. Yet, this reality seems only seems real to me. I mean, to kind of dumb down the question into a nutshell, 'why haven't I won the lottery yet'?
Namely, in the MWI, every possible world is equally real. Yet, this reality seems only seems real to me. I mean, to kind of dumb down the question into a nutshell, 'why haven't I won the lottery yet'?
- 13,926
- 16,804
I explained the distinction between dev, test and prod to my wife, and then showed her the Leonidas meme. She laughed, then questioned whether the punchline was worth the two minute lecture on IT methodology.Borg said:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Is this part of the whole " This is Parta" (Sparta?) t-shirt logos I have been seeing?Ibix said:I explained the distinction between dev, test and prod to my wife, and then showed her the Leonidas meme. She laughed, then questioned whether the punchline was worth the two minute lecture on IT methodology.![]()
- 13,926
- 16,804
I've not seen those logos, but I don't see the link beyond both being lines from 300 (edit: both from Leonidas, in fact). I think the movie is just so scenery chewingly over-the-top (mis-)quotable that it gets used for all sorts of things.WWGD said:Is this part of the whole " This is Parta" (Sparta?) t-shirt logos I have been seeing?
- 20,819
- 28,467
There is a difference?Ibix said:I explained the distinction between dev, test and prod to my wife, and then showed her the Leonidas meme. She laughed, then questioned whether the punchline was worth the two minute lecture on IT methodology.![]()
- 13,926
- 16,804
A difference between dev, test and prod? So I'm told.fresh_42 said:There is a difference?
- 20,819
- 28,467
- 20,819
- 28,467
No, only their name is different: they are called change requests instead of error protocolDrGreg said:In the prod version all the error-checking is removed, so you won't know why it went wrong.
- 13,926
- 16,804
In production it doesn't go wrong. There are just unintended features.DrGreg said:In the prod version all the error-checking is removed, so you won't know why it went wrong.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Seems like ( no joke : http://www.businessinsider.com/isra...referral&utm_source=quora&utm_medium=referral ) Israeli diplomats served Japan's PM dessert inside of a shoe. My question is: how were they all able to fit inside of a shoe?
- 20,819
- 28,467
No problem. I mean, ... , once you're in ...WWGD said:Seems like ( no joke : http://www.businessinsider.com/israel-served-japan-prime-minister-shinzo-abe-dessert-out-of-a-shoe-2018-5?amp;utm_medium=referral&utm_source=quora&utm_medium=referral ) Israeli diplomats served Japan's PM dessert inside of a shoe. My question is: how were they all able to fit inside of a shoe?
Attachments
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Quick, call the cops, a lady's house is being broken into: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46965/there-was-an-old-woman-who-lived-in-a-shoefresh_42 said:
- 13,926
- 16,804
Ceci n'est pas un bug.Borg said:
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,408
- 5,259
Speaking of features. What can I do when my company installs a version of Windows 10 that locks the screen if there isn't any input for 15 minutes and the settings can't be changed even with admin rights?
This of course.
This of course.

Java:
public static void main(String args...) {
Robot robot = new Robot();
Random random = new Random();
while(true) {
Point point = MouseInfo.getPointerInfo().getLocation(); // Get the current mouse location
point.setLocation(point.getX()+random.nextInt(1), point.getY()+random.nextInt(1)); // Move x and y one pixel randomly
robot.mouseMove(((int)point.getX()), ((int)point.getY());
Thread.sleep(800000); // wait 14 minutes and move it again
}
}
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I don't know why search results never contain actual answer visible without/before clicking. If you, e.g., ask for the translation of Sturgeon to German, all you see are hits with lines like: The word Sturgeon translates into German as ... and you have to click to see the actual answer.
- 19,385
- 15,622
Clearly the solution is to find your system admin and hurt him.Borg said:Speaking of features. What can I do when my company installs a version of Windows 10 that locks the screen if there isn't any input for 15 minutes and the settings can't be changed even with admin rights?
- 20,819
- 28,467
One had to laugh if it wasn't so sad.Borg said:Speaking of features. What can I do when my company installs a version of Windows 10 that locks the screen if there isn't any input for 15 minutes and the settings can't be changed even with admin rights?
This of course.
Java:public static void main(String args...) { Robot robot = new Robot(); Random random = new Random(); while(true) { Point point = MouseInfo.getPointerInfo().getLocation(); // Get the current mouse location point.setLocation(point.getX()+random.nextInt(1), point.getY()+random.nextInt(1)); // Move x and y one pixel randomly robot.mouseMove(((int)point.getX()), ((int)point.getY()); Thread.sleep(800000); // wait 14 minutes and move it again } }
- 20,819
- 28,467
Another example of an English word in which one missing letter leads to a completely different meaning. English is the worst error correcting code I've ever seen.WWGD said:I don't know why search results never contain actual answer visible without/before clicking. If you, e.g., ask for the translation of Sturgeon to German, all you see are hits with lines like: The word Sturgeon translates into German as ... and you have to click to see the actual answer.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
So you won't reveal the answer either. You're as bad as they are...;).fresh_42 said:Another example of an English word in which one missing letter leads to a completely different meaning. English is the worst error correcting code I've ever seen.
rokytnji
- 21
- 15
Always wondered why ice-cream has no bones.
It's calcium based.
Comes from a cow. Or Goat. Or most mammals for that matter.
It is good for your bones.
http://www.toponlinecolleges.com/blog/2010/20-strangest-ice-cream-flavors-that-actually-exist/
It's calcium based.
Comes from a cow. Or Goat. Or most mammals for that matter.
It is good for your bones.
http://www.toponlinecolleges.com/blog/2010/20-strangest-ice-cream-flavors-that-actually-exist/
- 20,819
- 28,467
I'm still working on a good answer. My best guess so far is, that you've won a bet and we're talking about caviar.WWGD said:So you won't reveal the answer either. You're as bad as they are...;).
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
More like something to see with the Sturgeon General. Who recommends _not_ to eat fish. At least not sturgeon.fresh_42 said:I'm still working on a good answer. My best guess so far is, that you've won a bet and we're talking about caviar.
Last edited:
- 20,819
- 28,467
You can't write it here anyway without stearching for the ASCII code of "ö"WWGD said:No, I just saw they were selling sturgeon in a store and I was curious.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2