What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 756K views
collinsmark said:
Caffeine intolerance is another topic that is easily looked up.
... if I were interested in.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
... if I were interested in.
But then you have studies and counterstudies, like I have seen with the allergy to peanuts which some swear by, yet many others claim is inexistant.
 
Last edited:
I am clearly not great at identifying accents. I was speaking (English, obviously) with this lady, and I asked her: " Are you from Sidney (Australia)"?.She replied, irritated: " No, I am from London(UK)". I then had to say: " Is that near Sidney"? She did not seem pleased; maybe thought to herself: " Dumb gringo". I thought it was pretty funny.
 
WWGD said:
I am clearly not great at identifying accents. I was speaking (English, obviously) with this lady, and I asked her: " Are you from Sidney (Australia)".She replied, irritated: " No, I am from London". I then had to say: " Is that near Sidney"? She did not seem pleased; maybe thought to herself: " Dumb gringo".
I had a similar experience. I stood with my nephew and his girlfriend at a Kiosk near a castle to buy some sausages. In front of me two guys with which I chatted a bit. As I turned around to my guests, I said: "Look. People from all over the world here. Even Englishmen." - "Nope", said my nephew, "they're from Australia."

London and Australian accents are really a bit similar.
 
fresh_42 said:
I had a similar experience. I stood with my nephew and his girlfriend at a Kiosk near a castle to buy some sausages. In front of me two guys with which I chatted a bit. As I turned around to my guests, I said: "Look. People from all over the world here. Even Englishmen." - "Nope, said my nephew, they're from Australia."

London and Australian accents are really a bit similar.
But I am pretty sure the Aussies were not irritated ( were they?); they have no problem with that, from what I have seen. The lady seemed upset I believed she was Australian. Though, of course there may have been other issues in play .
 
WWGD said:
But I am pretty sure the Aussies were not irritated ( were they?); they have no problem with that, from what I have seen. The lady seemed upset I believed she was Australian. Though, of course there may have been other issues in play .
The Aussies seemed, that only one thing could have irritated them at all. If the Kiosk was running out of beer or sausages.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
fresh_42 said:
The Aussies seemed, that only one thing could have irritated them at all. If the Kiosk was running out of beer or sausages.
I assume beer more so than sausages? Upset enough to waltz Matilde?
 
WWGD said:
I assume beer more so than sausages? Upset enough to waltz Matilde?
Well, the sun was shining, the Kiosk open, and they were in a good mood ready to talk to everybody.
Aussies and Scots are always a good company!
 
fresh_42 said:
Well, the sun was shining, the Kiosk open, and they were in a good mood ready to talk to everybody.
That's Englishme...er, Australians for you!
 
Sausage rolls downhill or uphill?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur
Almost every morning before work - used to drop by a Caltex station. Grab a battery (a can of red bull) and two sausage rolls. Breakfast of champions! :D Only possible in Aussieland
 
Hey, given the whole Syria, Korea deals, will just say : It was good knowing you all, in case we are all gone in the morning.
 
fresh_42 said:
I'm more afraid of the local absurdities :nb) , and of course the many cultural differences.
How can something be "locally absurd"?
 
WWGD said:
How can something be "locally absurd"?
Depends on whether you have a donkey in AZ
If you allow your donkey to sleep in a bathtub, you’re an ass. If you allow it while you’re in Arizona, you’re a criminal. According to a law made in 1924, it is illegal for donkeys to sleep in bathtubs. etc.
(https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/weird-laws-in-america_us_56a264abe4b0d8cc1099e1cd)

Edit: I like Idaho! But New Jersey can really get you!
 
WWGD said:
How can something be "locally absurd"?
Presumably, surdity can be made to vanish at a point by an appropriate choice of coordinates, but not globally.
 
Ibix said:
Presumably, surdity can be made to vanish at a point by an appropriate choice of coordinates, but not globally.
I can conceive of many absurdity maps that would preserve the properties.
 
WWGD said:
I can conceive of many absurdity maps that would preserve the properties.
True, but by hypothesis local absurdity exists. Therefore my statement in #3649 holds, although other possibilities may exist if we discard the requirement of local absurdity.
 
Ibix said:
True, but by hypothesis local absurdity exists. Therefore my statement in #3649 holds, although other possibilities may exist if we discard the requirement of local absurdity.
We may be violating Some Monty Python intellectual property in the process, though ;).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
WWGD said:
We may be violating Some Monty Python intellectual property in the process, though ;).
The Ministry of Silly Theories? Schrödinger's Parrot?
 
Ibix said:
The Ministry of Silly Theories? Schrödinger's Parrot?
I think it was one where they dressed like women --doesn't narrow it down much from what I remember.
 
WWGD said:
We may be violating Some Monty Python intellectual property in the process, though ;).

Ibix said:
The Ministry of Silly Theories? Schrödinger's Parrot?
Are you guys suggesting to open a blackmail forum?
 
fresh_42 said:
Are you guys suggesting to open a blackmail forum?
Just £500 to stop us publishing that personal theory you came up with when you were 12!
 
Another classy move today: I was getting some work done in a coffee shop when the manager comes in and announces a band will start playing. Right then, he introduces it and I just blurt out a " Oh $%^& " ( I thought they would interrupt my work ) and a bunch of people turn to look my way. Inner voice and outer voice...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur and StoneTemplePython
"Every minute counts". Hmmm... I saw a few minutes and I did not see them/ hear them counting.