What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
I thought you've looked it up in the meantime. A quick method for such cases isWWGD said:Don't worry, Freshmeister, not that important.
- Call https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon
- Switch the language.
- Find https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Störe
Attachments
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
As long as they still sell it in the Store...;).fresh_42 said:I thought you've looked it up in the meantime. A quick method for such cases is
Only problem is, they have it in the plural Störe and the singular is Stör (m.).
- Call https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon
- Switch the language.View attachment 225736
- Find https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Störe
- 20,819
- 28,467
By the way, and somehow funny, because I always wonder, why English native speakers cannot pronounce ö as in Stör. And store is far from sounding even similar. However, the gag is, that if you say "Stur(geon)" and drop the "geon", it's exactly how it sounds. This proves it can be pronounced, so it's somehow strange that it never happens. O.k. some nuance is left: Stör = Stur is a nothern attitude, the real pronunciation is "Shtur" with a "sh" at the beginning instead of "Stur". This applies to all words with "st" or "sp", they are pronounced "sht" resp. "shp". But you would be understood if you say "Stur" for Stör.WWGD said:As long as they still sell it in the Store...;).
OCR
- 996
- 936
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I this, I that a testOCR said:
OCR
- 996
- 936
WWGD said:I this, I that a test
DrGreg said:In the prod version all the error-checking is removed, so you won't know why it went wrong.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 1,266
- 597
there's some serious random thoughts action today
some recursion / circular reference humour
- - -
plus some coding theory / entropy humour
I feel like that Oswald guy would have something smart to say about this...
OCR said:
some recursion / circular reference humour
- - -
plus some coding theory / entropy humour
fresh_42 said:Another example of an English word in which one missing letter leads to a completely different meaning. English is the worst error correcting code I've ever seen.
I feel like that Oswald guy would have something smart to say about this...
OCR
- 996
- 936
When you make a contraction... as you did with your decremen...
awhile . a while...
So, just while away the hours in some easy or pleasant manner, and stop ruminating... it will pass. .
.
Lol...
Normally, you wouldn't...WWGD said:'decremen't
At least, not forWWGD said:...expect to see 'excrement'.
So, just while away the hours in some easy or pleasant manner, and stop ruminating... it will pass. .
.
Lol...
Last edited:
- 20,819
- 28,467
You mean things likeWWGD said:Maybe it's just me, but after 'increment' and 'decremen't I expect to see 'excrement'.
DO WHILE I < N
...
I=I+1
END DO
DO WHILE I > N
...
I=I-1
END DO
DO WHILE I = N
...
I=I+0
END DO
skyshrimp
- 39
- 122
Boston Dynamics makes my jaw drop. They're advancing so quickly.
The technological marvels future generations will witness will be utterly amazing. If I had the chance to be successfully, cryogenically frozen for 20 to 50 years at a time and then revived without damage, I would honestly do it. I reckon in just 40 years or less, people might actually start to have this option. You could wake and live in a future date for a year or so to get a grasp on everything and then go back in the freezer for the next episode. If you went too far, you might see a future where what once were homo-sapiens, see you the same way we currently see apes in our zoos. Ape men from 2018. Homo-sapiens wouldn't have the mental capacity to fathom their intelligence either
- 20,819
- 28,467
Is it over? Can we watch (non US) news again?
- 20,819
- 28,467
This subject isn't any better. I have two mugs here, one from QPR and one from Forest. What does this tell you?DrGreg said:If you are referring to events in Britain, yes, I can confirm that the F A Cup Final is over.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I wonder if there is a suave-enough way of telling a woman to "put her piggybank away" , i.e., pants are low and her crack is showing; seems like a piggy bank opening to drop a coin. I am not that suave myself.
Sorry I didn't go for your namesake Python; still, we don't have StoneTempleJAva (still?) ;).
Sorry I didn't go for your namesake Python; still, we don't have StoneTempleJAva (still?) ;).
- 20,819
- 28,467
There's no need to change characters which are already caricatures. It's the boring story board. Each day the same nonsense, interrupted by the scheduled weekly crime. CNN international as a news channel is already a total loss. I even consider to watch BBC out of desperation, now that it's over. Hopefully she won't litter within at least a year.WWGD said:Let's just change Melania's name to Daisy and son Eric to Daffy and pretend it is Disney.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Why do you complain: a 4-year-long (let's hope) episode of Jerry Springer ? Jerry!, Jerry !, ...fresh_42 said:There's no need to change characters which are already caricatures. It's the boring story board. Each day the same nonsense, interrupted by the scheduled weekly crime. CNN international as a news channel is already a total loss. I even consider to watch BBC out of desperation, now that it's over. Hopefully she won't litter within at least a year.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Too many beeps and bars. I'm an adult and don't like to be told what I'm allowed to hear and see and what not. This censoring - under the assumption that it had already been added to the original tape - is a single metaphor on the American hypocrisy: either you produce such shows (<substitute by a subject of your choice>) and live with the results, or you do not. But do not pretend as if it was of any quality or you had to prevent your audience from disturbing sounds or views, that's ridiculous. That's why I complain about the news: what happened and weekly happens were and are more or less free decisions, and to complain about them afterwards, is ridiculous.WWGD said:Jerry!, Jerry !, ...
- 20,819
- 28,467
Change of subject: What is it, that people are interested in whether Mr. Xyz married Mrs. Uvw or not? I don't get it. It's even less interesting than this famous sack of rice in China.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
It's trash TV, embarrassing -enough that it is out. But you omitted the last 20-or-so seconds of the show , where Jerry pretends there is a message to the show beyond " Hey, for whatever reason, people watch this trash I am putting out".fresh_42 said:Too many beeps and bars. I'm an adult and don't like to be told what I'm allowed to hear and see and what not. This censoring - under the assumption that it had already been added to the original tape - is a single metaphor on the American hypocrisy: either you produce such shows (<substitute by a subject of your choice>) and live with the results, or you do not. But do not pretend as if it was of any quality or you had to prevent your audience from disturbing sounds or views, that's ridiculous. That's why I complain about the news: what happened and weekly happens were and are more or less free decisions, and to complain about them afterwards, is ridiculous.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
The NY Times has a few pages devoted to that. Maybe it is a way for those who appear in the column to show that they have made it -- it must cost a fortune to be mentioned there.fresh_42 said:Change of subject: What is it, that people are interested in whether Mr. Xyz married Mrs. Uvw or not? I don't get it. It's even less interesting than this famous sack of rice in China.
skyshrimp
- 39
- 122
If a flat earther flew around the Earth in a plane, how would he explain that event?
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2