What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #4,341
I wonder if the Chunnel technically makes Britain a non-island. It is, after all, attached to the mainland by the Chunnel.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,342
WWGD said:
I wonder if the Chunnel technically makes Britain a non-island. It is, after all, attached to the mainland by the Chunnel.
Are the Keys still islands?

Likes BillTre
  • #4,343
fresh_42 said:
Are the Keys still islands?
You mean the ones off South Florida? If so, yes, I believe. Why?
EDIT: Never mind, I get your point.

Last edited:
  • #4,344
WWGD said:
The Chunnel is great when it's running but when there is a problem the continent is totally isolated (apart from a few ferries).

• #4,345
Where’s the blacksmith?

• #4,346
CWatters said:
The Chunnel is great when it's running but when there is a problem the continent is totally isolated (apart from a few ferries).
How will that work out after Brexit becomes ofcial next year?

• #4,347
WWGD said:
That's a nightmare waiting to happen! I saw in a documentary a few days ago, which amount of goods they actually transport each day back and forth. In the show they had an accident with the overhead power supply in the tunnel which took a couple of hours to repair. Unbelievable! But now 90% are inner European traffic, which need no customs. After Brexit they will have to control every single truck! And as of now, the French deal with the complete custom management (check people, and control non-EU freight). I wonder if they will do after Brexit.

Since the tunnel, large parts of British economy introduced just-in-time delivery. They will have to rebuild the entire infrastructure!

• #4,348
WWGD said:
It will be even more complicated, because the tunnel is maintained by workers of both countries and they don't really care where the actual border is, and often even work in mixed teams. How will they manage this situation?

• #4,349
Many unintended consequences.
What a surprise!

• #4,350
Why oh why am I stuck here in first year experience exploration?

• #4,351
I voted remain and have worked on both sides of the channel. I'm old enough to remember when the UK car industry was a joke. Loss making despite heavy government support. Then we joined the EU and reduced corporate taxes to attract inward investment. Japanese car companies decided the UK was a good place to build cars that could be exported all over Europe. Nissan, Honda and Toyota all set up factories here to make cars, engines or both. Now we export thousands of cars all over Europe. Parts for these make upto seven channel crossings before they are assembled into finished cars. I'm sure car companies will continue to make current models in the UK but the future of new models depends on what sort of trade deal we can do with the EU.

• #4,352
A slight consolations n on knowing websites collect data about us. .I have been getting ads about appartments 'Starting at $3.8 million only'. So I guess their profile of me is at least a bit of.

• #4,353
Maybe it was a typo. :oldwink:

• #4,354
Borg said:
Maybe it was a typo. :oldwink:
An m instead of a b? :wink:

Likes fresh_42 and Borg
  • #4,355
Actually, I was trying to figure out what the profile was a "bit of" but sure, let's go with billions. :oldtongue:

Likes Ibix
  • #4,356
My son has some Iron Man shampoo. It comes in a bottle shaped like the torso and head of Iron Man's armour. Its delicate floral scent was... unexpected.

Likes WWGD
  • #4,357
While on super heros... I was explaining to my son yesterday that Spiderman was a bit odd. I mean he's always turning his wrists up and wears a gimp mask.

• #4,358

• #4,359
Borg said:
Actually, I was trying to figure out what the profile was a "bit of" but sure, let's go with billions. :oldtongue:
Well, I am not sure precisely what, but something from what they have collected about me has led them to believe I am a millionaire/billionaire.

• #4,360
WWGD said:
Well, I am not sure precisely what, but something from what they have collected about me has led them to believe I am a millionaire/billionaire.
Probably your apartment on the 5th Avenue. :cool:

• #4,361
WWGD said:
Maybe you have a millionaire neighbour who is stealing your wifi?

Likes WWGD and nuuskur
  • #4,362
fresh_42 said:
Probably your apartment on the 5th Avenue. :cool:
Not even on Fim Strasse (Fifth Street)

• #4,363
Hey baby, what is the square root of one minus your cosine squared (## sin \theta= \sqrt{ 1-cos^2 \theta} ##)? Or Baby, what is the imaginary part or your polar representation ( ## cos \theta + isin \theta ##)

• #4,364
WWGD said:
Hey baby, what is the square root of one minus your cosine squared (## sin \theta= \sqrt{ 1-cos^2 \theta} ##)? Or Baby, what is the imaginary part or your polar representation ( ## cos \theta + isin \theta ##)
##\pi\mathrm{sces}##

Likes WWGD
  • #4,365
Ibix said:
##\pi\mathrm{sces}##

Choices:
Ibix:=Puns Galore or a Pun Machine, keeps its motors clean (Sorry to put you on the spot)?
EDIT: I , clearly am not a pun machine myself, or would have come out with something better.

Last edited:
  • #4,366
TV Tropes suggests "pungeon master".

Alternatively, I was awake at 3am and stupid comments are all I'm capable of at that time.

• #4,367
Puns De Leon? Follows from Puntryagin principle.

• #4,368
WWGD said:
Puns De Leon? Follows from Puntryagin principle.
Actually came to me while sleeping. Arguably the closest I will ever come to a revelation or religious experience.

• #4,369
I just saw a picture from Wacken (1827 citizens) taken by a helicopter, or a drone. 80,000 people living in tents on some farmers' land in the middle of nowhere is quite impressive.

I miss Lemmy.

all_faces-01.jpg

Attachments

• all_faces-01.jpg
    all_faces-01.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
  • #4,370
So, freshmeister, why don't you attend and let us know?

• #4,371
WWGD said:
So, freshmeister, why don't you attend and let us know?
I have not the slightest idea how to get a ticket. Have you read the sold out times?
"Remarkably, all 75,000 tickets were sold out within 48 hours for 2014, 12 hours for 2015, and 23 hours for 2016, despite the fact that the lineup (with the exception of rumors or headliners) had not been announced. Including 2019, the festival was sold out fifteen times in a row."

But I'm also too old for mud, cows and tents.

Likes Stephenk53
  • #4,372
I just downed 32oz of warm water containing two heap teaspoons of sea salt to cleanse my colon. This is how I broke my 16 hour intermittent fast, 10 minutes ago.

Things are about to get real.

• #4,373
skyshrimp said:
I just downed 32oz of warm water containing two heap teaspoons of sea salt to cleanse my colon. This is how I broke my 16 hour intermittent fast, 10 minutes ago.

Things are about to get real.
No pics, please ;).

Likes fresh_42
  • #4,374
It took 77 minutes to take effect. Now I’m stuck on the loo with only 4% battery on my phone.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail...

Last edited:
  • #4,375
skyshrimp said:
It took 77 minutes to take effect. Now I’m stuck on the loo with only 4% battery on my phone.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail...

Is that a video of you after the hot water?The handler is an abstraction for the hot water?