What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Ibix said:
I did do a few lessons of MMA a while ago. The instructor kept calling it Gecko-Roman style, which made me smile. When he wasn't looking my way, anyway.
Beside merging two different cultures, which I don't find especially strange, considering that the Romans copied the Greek culture anyway, what's really funny is, that Greco-Roman means not to grab anything below the waist. Now in contrast to our modern taboos, neither the Greek nor the Romans would have had any problems touching any parts of the body above or below the waist. However, I don't know whether there are written rules how they really wrestled at the competitions.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Don't forget horse and lance when you will fight the Hook Mill.
Ok, will look it up, but now iguana drink some water.
 
fresh_42 said:
I don't really like guano drinks.
Not even Iguana guano? Iguana know why.
 
Ibix said:
The instructor kept calling it Gecko-Roman

My wife buys paint from "Sherman Williams" and likes the PF Chang "Asian Beefstro." She was honestly shocked when I corrected her on these. We still laugh about them.
 
gmax137 said:
My wife buys paint from "Sherman Williams" and likes the PF Chang "Asian Beefstro." She was honestly shocked when I corrected her on these..

She panhandle the truth!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur
My wife used to tell people that she got married on an American man.

She had a few issues with prepositions.
Or maybe it was pre-positions. :oldtongue:
 
Borg said:
My wife used to tell people that she got married on an American man.Or maybe it was pre-positions. :oldtongue:

I thought you did not end sentences with pre-positions.
 
Borg said:
My wife used to tell people that she got married on an American man.

She had a few issues with prepositions.
Or maybe it was pre-positions. :oldtongue:
Is she from Finnland?

csm_1028283723_b5383c9d5d.jpg


https://www.moz.de/artikel-ansicht/dg/0/1/1585700/
 
Attachments
  • csm_1028283723_b5383c9d5d.jpg
    csm_1028283723_b5383c9d5d.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 585
Written on the pancake bottles:

American version: enough for 12-14
German version: 4-6

My output:
American version: enough for 4-6
German version: 12-14

And no, I did not confuse them, as they have different names: the American version is literally called pancakes whereas the German version is named pancakes.
 
nuuskur said:
Written on the pancake bottles:

pancake Bottles?!
4000400112170_270922.png
 
Attachments
  • 4000400112170_270922.png
    4000400112170_270922.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 697
WWGD said:
I think most would call it pancake mix bottles.
But my German is 10000 worse than your English .
 
WWGD said:
But my German is 10000 worse than your English .
I didn't want to destroy the absurdity that comes along with pancakes + bottles. I mean it is pretty absurd to buy them ready made if it only takes a bit flour, sugar, eggs and ##NaHCO_3##, but somehow my experiments to mix the dough on my own haven't resulted in the desired taste, yet. My suspicion is, that fresh eggs instead of egg powder makes the difference. Or we are already so used to convenience food that the taste of real eggs feels strange.
 
fresh_42 said:
I didn't want to destroy the absurdity that comes along with pancakes + bottles. I mean it is pretty absurd to buy them ready made if it only takes a bit flour, sugar, eggs and ##NaHCO_3##, but somehow my experiments to mix the dough on my own haven't resulted in the desired taste, yet. My suspicion is, that fresh eggs instead of egg powder makes the difference. Or we are already so used to convenience food that the taste of real eggs feels strange.
I don't know about eggs but I know that after using Splenda for a while, I now need like 3x the amount of regular sugar I needed before that.
 
WWGD said:
I don't know about eggs but I know that after using Splenda for a while, I now need like 3x the amount of regular sugar I needed before that.
I remember that I once tried to find a yogurt. Simple as that: no sugar, no tastes, no left or right turning bacteria, nothing but a simple yogurt. I gave up after ten minutes or so.
 
English is strange once again.

Is it correct to say "I'm going to go to the shop" or "I'm going to the shop"/"I will go to the shop"/"I will be going to the shop"?
The 'going to go' expression seems so strange / redundant yet I hear it used Everywhere.
 
nuuskur said:
English is strange once again.

Is it correct to say "I'm going to go to the shop" or "I'm going to the shop"/"I will go to the shop"/"I will be going to the shop"?
The 'going to go' expression seems so strange / redundant yet I hear it used Everywhere.
I will let you know when I get back from the shop.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and nuuskur
I can’t wait till I get home from college today. I say that everyday and feel excited to get home but once I get home I feel neutral about being home.
 
P
Borg said:
Maybe it was a typo. :oldwink:
No, I am AB positive. Positive.
 
WWGD said:
I will let you know when I get back from the shop.
are you going to go to work or will you be going to work?
 
nuuskur said:
are you going to go to work or will you be going to work?
Usually I have heard I am going to work. I am going to go to workis rare in my experience and it sounds very indirect.
 
WWGD said:
Usually I have heard I am going to work. I am going to go to workis rare in my experience and it sounds very indirect.
right, I say these phrases the following way.
I am going swimming/shopping. I am going to work/school. I am going home.
These all sound much more natural than their "going to go" counterparts. But I do hear "going to go" being used. Is it legit English or is there something fishy with it?
 
051dc4599d04750ac6cb08b48fad43675e7833-v5-wm.jpg
<- that does sound somewhat fishy:smile:
 
Attachments
  • 051dc4599d04750ac6cb08b48fad43675e7833-v5-wm.jpg
    051dc4599d04750ac6cb08b48fad43675e7833-v5-wm.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 283
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur
nuuskur said:
right, I say these phrases the following way.
I am going swimming/shopping. I am going to work/school. I am going home.
These all sound much more natural than their "going to go" counterparts. But I do hear "going to go" being used. Is it legit English or is there something fishy with it?

it is the difference between something you intended to do now and something you intend to do later. I am playing foot ball then i am going to the pub
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD