What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
WWGD said:
Is that a video of you after the hot water?The handler is an abstraction for the hot water?

I feel like Mr Bubz dude. All I know is that I'm treating each fart with extreme caution.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
I know this effect from replacing books on the table with titles like "Differentiation and Integration" or so. Which is your trick?
Appearance and cheap deodorant, I guess?
 
skyshrimp said:
I feel like Mr Bubz dude. All I know is that I'm treating each fart with extreme caution.
They deserve your(our) highest regard indeed!
 
nuuskur said:
Wait what, St Arbucks??
you mean Starbucks?
Starbucks _before canonization_ . I submitted an application for sainthood: $9.95 + S&H.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur
skyshrimp said:
I saw what he did there
Maybe you can send me the pics, to apply for sainthood? I will appoint you the holy(wholly?) Caffeinator-in-chief?
 
I want to go to the shops quick. It's just up the road.

Should I risk it? My bum might give out half way there, but I'm feeling confident.

Wish me luck PF!
 
skyshrimp said:
I want to go to the shops quick. It's just up the road.

Should I risk it? My bum might give out half way there, but I'm feeling confident.

Wish me luck PF!
God luck! If anything, remember, you have been annointed. Claim your sainthood if anything.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: skyshrimp
I always wondered why there seems to a much larger variety of alphabets than of number systems; mist sm to use 1,2,3,... But the $#@ internet takes away any good excuse and I just have to admit that I am too lazy to look it up.
 
Our number system emigrated form India over Arabia to Europe and then the Americas and Australia. Which leaves little left. So the question turns into: What happens east of India? E.g. China has its own numbers, and the Babylonians had 60 as a base. And what about the aborigines in Australia, tribes in the Amazon rainforest, or the first nations. My guess is, that it has basically been driven by trade. Talk whatever you like, but when it comes to money, ambiguities aren't fun anymore. However, it took the European traders embarrassingly long to change from the stupid Roman number system to the Arabian decimal system.
 
fresh_42 said:
Our number system emigrated form India over Arabia to Europe and then the Americas and Australia. Which leaves little left. So the question turns into: What happens east of India? E.g. China has its own numbers, and the Babylonians had 60 as a base. And what about the aborigines in Australia, tribes in the Amazon rainforest, or the first nations. My guess is, that it has basically been driven by trade. Talk whatever you like, but when it comes to money, ambiguities aren't fun anymore. However, it took the European traders embarrassingly long to change from the stupid Roman number system to the Arabian decimal system.
But how about the ambiguities caused by having, not just different languages, but different alphabets?
 
Wow, psychodelic: Pizza served in elliptical plate:
Used to be, for circular plates (Say) : 6'' for just $12.
What now:
Minor axis 4'' , major axis 6'' just for $12?
 
WWGD said:
Wow, psychodelic: Pizza
So it had mushrooms on it?
 
dlgoff said:
So it had mushrooms on it?
Maybe . It may have been thatat the plate was actually circular but the 'shrooms made it look elliptical yo me.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
I felt guilty and did not collect the winning bet on watching a movie in 5d.
 
WWGD said:
I felt guilty and did not collect the winning bet on watching a movie in 5d.
That was a puzzle. I was reading a book of puzzles recently. The answer is that 5d is the apartment...
 
I got an email request for tutoring 'avance calculas' (advanced Calculus). I think I'll skip it.
 
WWGD said:
I got an email request for tutoring 'avance calculas' (advanced Calculus). I think I'll skip it.
English included or not?
 
fresh_42 said:
English included or not?
Not sure, still, too avance for me.
 
Speaking of which, the first time I read (probably a list of courses in the uni) some "Advanced calculus" (in Estonian roughly translated to "Higher calculus" or "Higher algebra") I thought it sounded very fearsome and complicated. A bit further down on the list was "Mathematical analysis I" which sounded..you know, more friendly, more neutral.

..oh how wrong I was.

These days the course has a more fearsome title: "Single variable real analysis" (analysis I)
 
Another weird discussion ( i am seeing a pattern here) someone talking about communication : We should all spend more time listening than talking. Is that possibleif everyone were to spend, say, 60% of their time listening, don't we need to have at least one person talking more than 60% of the time? I guess it is complicated since we communicate with many people, but it is definitely impossible with two people: if they get together for an hour, they cannot both listen for 40 minutes.
 
fresh_42 said:
Good that they wrote calculas and not analisit.
Usually analisit are psychiatrist. When I had a problem in integration, I told someone I need an analyst. They told me :" No kidding".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur
fresh_42 said:
Have you joined a wrestler group?
No, maybe I should try wrestling with women like Andy Kauffman did. It was his way of meeting women , since he was too shy.

BTW, something similar happened today. I ended up in a video for a song " East End Boys and West End Girls" a while back and wanted to hear it again.

I kept looking for "Eastern Boys and Western Girls" , found nothing. Somehow managed to end up on right video.
 
fresh_42 said:
Have you joined a wrestler group?
I did do a few lessons of MMA a while ago. The instructor kept calling it Gecko-Roman style, which made me smile. When he wasn't looking my way, anyway.
 
WWGD said:
BTW, something similar happened today. I ended up in a video for a song " East End Boys and West End Girls" a while back and wanted to hear it again.

I kept looking for "Eastern Boys and Western Girls" , found nothing. Somehow managed to end up on right video.
Google is pretty good at fixing that kind of thing. The error is called Mondegreen, apparently. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD