What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 752K views
It rained heavily here for several days and finally quit last night. This morning I saw deer everywhere on the way to work. I guess that they just hunkered down during the storm and now they're out getting something to eat.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
This kid will be really confused about the meaning of the word 'relax'. The kid was jittery and the mom shouts at him at the top of her lungs "Relax!" and then slaps him. Wonder what he'll think next time someone asks him to relax.
 
WWGD said:
This kid will be really confused about the meaning of the word 'relax'. The kid was jittery and the mom shouts at him at the top of her lungs "Relax!" and then slaps him. Wonder what he'll think next time someone asks him to relax.
relax (v.)
late 14c., "to make (something) less compact or dense," from Old French relaschier "set free; soften; reduce" (14c.), from Latin relaxare "relax, loosen, open, stretch out, widen again; make loose,"

No doubt: relax = blow up.
 
At the Naval Academy, they have equations for a Happiness Factor and GAS factor (acronym definition redacted). The Happiness Factor is the number of days of vacation divided by the number of days until vacation. The GAS factor is the inverse of the Happiness Factor. The critical value of each is 1.

Tomorrow is my last day of work until 2019.

This informs to my current mood.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Parsing English:
It's better than drinking a loan.
Your company must have excellent liquidity!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
I am always bothered by the phrase : " I would like to be alone together". It is confusing. But I can't think of a reasonable way of making it more clear.
 
WWGD said:
I am always bothered by the phrase : " I would like to be alone together". It is confusing. But I can't think of a reasonable way of making it more clear.

If I understand correctly that 'together' refers to a significant other, then I'd wax poetical

"You shatter my solitude".
 
Klystron said:
If I understand correctly that 'together' refers to a significant other, then I'd wax poetical

"You shatter my solitude".
She ultimately preferred to be alone alone. So I am out.Now I have to drink a loan. Or, reversely, like Heart sang : " How do I get you a loan". Or Pink Floyd: " Give these kids a loan" (Apparently teachers loan money in the UK -- talk about anarchy)..
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Wonder if anyone drinks hot beer in Winter. I always wondered how these seasonal businesses made it. The Soup stores, the Ice Cream places, Jamba Juice, selling ice-cold fruit shakes. And then ice cold beer in Winter.
 
Sauna is very popular here. Cold beer after a steam bath is one way to do it. It's not a niche business, either, quite the tradition, actually. Many would say serving warm beer is a crime :oldbiggrin:
 
fresh_42 said:
:thumbup:
Indeed! Same as well done steaks.
Well -done steaks won't make you freeze over when you go outside. But I agree with the steak thing.
 
I have developed this strange, intense, fascination with seeing how coffee blends into hot milk, "drawing" into it, turning it from white into a nice, warm, brown tone.
 
Just glimpsed a strange kind of humor. I've seen (on tv) a sticker on an instrument in SOFIA. The project is a collaboration of the US and Germany, and the sticker read: "This instrument is kraut-funded"...
 
My phone died when I was out, so I entertained myself by solving by one of either the father, mother or child:

Look at the child and the mom and "solve" for the father by trying to figure out what he must look like to combine with mom to produce the child.

Do the same for mom and the child.
 
WWGD said:
Wonder if anyone drinks hot beer in Winter.
Not really hot, but ...

71OgFYP0e4L._SY355_.jpg


... usually only found in barbarian Bavaria.
 
Attachments
  • 71OgFYP0e4L._SY355_.jpg
    71OgFYP0e4L._SY355_.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 610
fresh_42 said:
Not really hot, but ...

View attachment 236177

... usually only found in barbarian Bavaria.
Do you know any Bar barbar Bavar with warm beer?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Is there a definition for "kid"?

I mean, when I was 10, kids have been all up to 9. When I was 20, kids were at most 16, and when I was 30, 20 year old have been still kids. Meanwhile it reached 25 and appears to be stable so far.
 
fresh_42 said:
Is there a definition for "kid"?

I mean, when I was 10, kids have been all up to 9. When I was 20, kids were at most 16, and when I was 30, 20 year old have been still kids. Meanwhile it reached 25 and appears to be stable so far.
I know they have language academies in some countries --Spain is the only one I know, but I think France also has one -- where they actually discuss issues of this sort and arrive at an answer. Wonder if it is a paid post: go to Starbucks and duck it utuntil the espresso runs out or until someone forces themselves on all others...
 
fresh_42 said:
Is there a definition for "kid"?

I mean, when I was 10, kids have been all up to 9. When I was 20, kids were at most 16, and when I was 30, 20 year old have been still kids. Meanwhile it reached 25 and appears to be stable so far.

Sounds like a relative term. Younger than you.
 
nuuskur said:
Many would say serving warm beer is a crime
An exception to that rule would be Guiness Beer, but only the stuff bottled in Ireland.
Even if brewed there, shipped in bulk, and bottled in the USA, it just doesn't work. :oldruck:
 
Tom.G said:
An exception to that rule would be Guiness Beer, but only the stuff bottled in Ireland.
Even if brewed there, shipped in bulk, and bottled in the USA, it just doesn't work. :oldruck:

Worked with a Turkish scientist who said the same. She drank Guinness stout like I drank tea.
 
Ibix said:
Boiled, with milk and two sugars?
Ugh! I prepare tea with water (hopefully) just below boiling, coaxing flavor from the tea leaves. Unless you refer to boiling Guinness with milk and sugar? Double-ugh or the next taste sensation?
 
Klystron said:
Unless you refer to boiling Guinness with milk and sugar? Double-ugh or the next taste sensation?
I'd go with double-ugh, but you said she drank Guinness like you drank tea so I guessed how she drank it. Thanks for your clarification. Nearly boiling Guiness sounds better than with milk and sugar, but it seems like the alcohol would be long gone either way.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
I repeatedly complained in this forum that it was a painnot to know what was open not on Christmas Eve, and no one has done anything about it!
 
WWGD said:
I repeatedly complained in this forum that it was a painnot to know what was open not on Christmas Eve, and no one has done anything about it!
I don't see a problem here. 13% of the city's population is Jewish and Hanukkah is over!
 
nuuskur said:
is "child" a well-defined object?

Let's gather examples to refine the definition.
  1. Computer science is the twisted child of Physics and Mathematics.