What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 752K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
Well, in a way, but this is another story.WWGD said:Did you move to Manhattan?
I just thought with over a million Jews in town who currently have no holidays there shouldn't be a problem with locations that are open.WWGD said:Sorry fresheimer/freshmeister, yet again did not get your point.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
My ancient but active great-grandmother was proud of her language (and engineering!) skills. Asked if her gender or strong accent affected her job prospects, she would answer,
"Achk-sint? Vhat achsint, Dahlink?" (sotto voce "Vas hass Du gizack?" *)* literally "What's that you say?"
"Achk-sint? Vhat achsint, Dahlink?" (sotto voce "Vas hass Du gizack?" *)* literally "What's that you say?"
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Second 1st world problem after not finding a place open to hangout in Christmas: the i's I write are often capitalized, since I guess OS assumes they are the pronoun "I". So I see, e.g., I.e , instead of i.e., or I+3 instead of i+3. The Humanity! BTW, whatever happened to that thread, " First World Problems"?
- 20,819
- 28,467
I thought it was this one: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/weird-news-compilation.878428/page-17WWGD said:BTW, whatever happened to that thread, " First World Problems"?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Ah, nein , I missed it , right in front of me in the search: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/first-world-problems.778225/fresh_42 said:I thought it was this one: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/weird-news-compilation.878428/page-17
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
EDIT: File under "Who gives a #$%^"
Phrase of the (my)week: " Thank you for your Kindness". I had heard it way back, but then had not for years. Then I heard it 4 times last week and not again this week (yet?), strangely for holding the door open for someone once and thre times overheard from others. The word of the(my) week is "Heretic". I have heard it and looked it up many times, and then gone on quickly to forget it ( other than having a vague idea of what it is).
Phrase of the (my)week: " Thank you for your Kindness". I had heard it way back, but then had not for years. Then I heard it 4 times last week and not again this week (yet?), strangely for holding the door open for someone once and thre times overheard from others. The word of the(my) week is "Heretic". I have heard it and looked it up many times, and then gone on quickly to forget it ( other than having a vague idea of what it is).
- 20,819
- 28,467
Heretic is highly context sensitive!
- 20,819
- 28,467
If you want to test its meaning here, then go to the astronomy forum and start a thread: "I have a proof that the Earth is a flat disk!"WWGD said:Is he, really? ;).( No, I am not _that_ lost).
But still, as it is a word, it must have a generalized meaning to it, right?
A couple of centuries earlier, it was sufficient to be a Christian fundamentalist and the disk remark wouldn't have anybody bothered.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Yes. What annoys me is to not have excuses to not look it up. Nowadays, with the web, you can search anything and only reason not to is laziness. .fresh_42 said:If you want to test its meaning here, then go to the astronomy forum and start a thread: "I have a proof that the Earth is a flat disk!"
A couple of centuries earlier, it was sufficient to be a Christian fundamentalist and the disk remark wouldn't have anybody bothered.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
WWGD said:[snip]
But still, as it is a word, it must have a generalized meaning to it, right?
I prefer iconoclast. Idol breaker.
Heretic requires a foil, a standard doctrine that can be modified into heresy.
Iconoclast spots a malformed icon knows it's time to clast.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Thanks. Clast-away? Clast-on ( But then we need Clast off)?Klystron said:I prefer iconoclast. Idol breaker.
Heretic requires a foil, a standard doctrine that can be modified into heresy.
Iconoclast spots a malformed icon knows it's time to clast.
- 20,819
- 28,467
To be honest. I have exactly the same problem with this word: a slight idea what it means and something in mind what it once meant. Me, too, looks it up to be sure. And I learned that it came from a Christian sekt in the 11th century which was even for other Christians too extreme. But its meaning evolved soon and the origin was soon forgotten, too. My (wrong) memory thought it meant early Christians from the Roman or Jewish point of view, but it origoinated a thousand years later.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Wlison?WWGD said:Thanks. Clast-away? Clast-on ( But then we need Clast off)?
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
fresh_42 said:Wlison?
"Clast-away into the C".
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
It has been one of my holy grails to understand why some things just do not stick in my mind while otehrs are absorbed almost immediately ( and, of course, the mid-range or in-between). But this seems too ambitious.fresh_42 said:To be honest. I have exactly the same problem with this word: a slight idea what it means and something in mind what it once meant. Me, too, looks it up to be sure..
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
fresh_42 said:To be honest. I have exactly the same problem with this word: a slight idea what it means and something in mind what it once meant. Me, too, looks it up to be sure. And I learned that it came from a Christian sekt in the 11th century which was even for other Christians too extreme. But its meaning evolved soon and the origin was soon forgotten, too. My (wrong) memory thought it meant early Christians from the Roman or Jewish point of view, but it origoinated a thousand years later.
Those categories are not exclusive. I've read different definitions with connotations that suit the author. Kindest def:
Sabbath breaker: some sects and dispersed groups required holy days of repose. Trusted members and family broke these rules to defend their people on holy days. Early security, perhaps. Like Roman lictors; ready to strike but according to doctrine.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Out of all those information which are absorbed immediately is a tremendous amount of the category: completely useless. That's the actual annoying aspect. E.g. yesterday I was told: "Did you know that <insert a celebrity of your choice> is gay?" No, I did not, and for sure it doesn't bother me, and I definitely didn't want to know. I don't even like him. Nevertheless, there is no chance to forget it again.WWGD said:It has been one of my holy grails to understand why some things just do not stick in my mind while others are absorbed almost immediately ( and, of course, the mid-range or in-between). But this seems too ambitious.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Yes, I have plenty of useless trash. I remembered some 15 different Starbucks bathroom codes for a pretty long time. And I didn't know <...> was gay, but I suspected it ( Not that there is anything wrong with that, right, Jerry?)...fresh_42 said:Out of all those information which are absorbed immediately is a tremendous amount of the category: completely useless. That's the actual annoying aspect. E.g. yesterday I was told: "Did you know that <insert a celebrity of your choice> is gay?" No, I did not, and for sure it doesn't bother me, and I definitely didn't want to know. I don't even like him. Nevertheless, there is no chance to forget it again.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
Heretic => Iconoclast ==> Rebel
proofiness:
proofiness:
- The film "Rebel Without a Cause" starred young gay actors (see above).
- rebel spelled backwards is "leber" which (almost) sounds like leper.
Last edited:
- 13,926
- 16,804
"Clast on, clast off, grasshopper"WWGD said:Thanks. Clast-away? Clast-on ( But then we need Clast off)?
<waves hands like falling rocks>
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I am trying to learn phrases in another language, but not the usual, boring ones.
How can I say:" I am not afraid of clowns anymore" ,
or " I can logon to the network but it will not give me internet access"
or " Yesterday's meat must have been spoiled".
in, Say, Hindi, Russian, Nepali.
How can I say:" I am not afraid of clowns anymore" ,
or " I can logon to the network but it will not give me internet access"
or " Yesterday's meat must have been spoiled".
in, Say, Hindi, Russian, Nepali.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2