What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
Jonathan Scott said:
... Recent "music" is mostly too noisy, intrusive and monotonous for my taste, although some of it is fine.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: RonL
Physics news on Phys.org
Jonathan Scott said:
Well, I mostly enjoy (and perform) music from the 1680s (e.g. Purcell) to the 1950s (e.g. Shostakovich Festive Overture), although there is some recent stuff I really like, such as the Star Wars music by John Williams (which is admittedly quite reminiscent of several early 20th century composers). Recent "music" is mostly too noisy, intrusive and monotonous for my taste, although some of it is fine.

I think whatever we listened to in teenage years somehow imprints our brain for the rest of our life.

I like light classical, preferred it to what was on AM radio all through 60"s 70's. I earned title 'class weirdo' in Junior High School(1959) for answering the question "Who's your favorite group?" with "Arthur Fiedler & the Boston Pops" .
Though Fiedler did once say "Within a decade we will be playing The Beatles in concert halls" .
FiedlerBeatles.jpg


I guess they had some talent after all.old jim
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, 1oldman2 and Psinter
Common, man, there is some good stuff out there still.
 
fresh_42 said:
Are ABBA re-united?
I think so, in the palindrome tour. They had just started playing the radio in my job (Pandora) and there was a lot of pretty good stuff.
 
WWGD said:
I think so, in the palindrome tour. They had just started playing the radio in my job (Pandora) and there was a lot of pretty good stuff.
I still have to think about the live concert of Iggy I saw these days on TV. He's been 68 at the time (2015) and rocked the whole arena (in France). Similar could be said about Keith or Tina. I have serious doubts that something like this will be said about nowadays "stars" as Beyonce, Miley or He-who-must-not-be-named.
 
jim hardy said:
I think whatever we listened to in teenage years somehow imprints our brain for the rest of our life.

I like light classical, preferred it to what was on AM radio all through 60"s 70's. I earned title 'class weirdo' in Junior High School(1959) for answering the question "Who's your favorite group?" with "Arthur Fiedler & the Boston Pops" .
Though Fiedler did once say "Within a decade we will be playing The Beatles in concert halls" .
View attachment 104882

I guess they had some talent after all.old jim
What? How about this? :devil:

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim hardy
They killed the dog of a friend.

The veterinary said that it was too old and it could not recover. He said it was 126 years old when the average says it should have died a long time ago. That it was suffering.

So they put some kind of injection and killed it. Or so I was told, I wasn't there.

Edit: I don't know why the number of age so big. Never quite understood it. It might be some kind of convention. I don't know.
 
fresh_42 said:
I still have to think about the live concert of Iggy I saw these days on TV. He's been 68 at the time (2015) and rocked the whole arena (in France). Similar could be said about Keith or Tina. I have serious doubts that something like this will be said about nowadays "stars" as Beyonce, Miley or He-who-must-not-be-named.
Iggy renamed himself IggI to join the palindrome tour.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
WWGD said:
Iggy renamed himself IggI to join the palindrome tour.
No wonder, considering his full (stage) name. Guess he organizes the tour.
 
fresh_42 said:
No wonder, considering his full (stage) name. Guess he organizes the tour.

Actually, he organagro the tour.
 
Sophia said:
It's just because they don't have facial expressions and we can't hear their sounds
You've never had a goldfish scowl at you, have you?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia
WWGD said:
Actually, he organagro the tour.
They have actually a casting for the show, perhaps to get the Beatles together again:
http://www.wormsrus.co.nz/organagro.html

...of course on a mission from God!
 
Psinter said:
They killed the dog of a friend.

The veterinary said that it was too old and it could not recover. He said it was 126 years old when the average says it should have died a long time ago. That it was suffering.

So they put some kind of injection and killed it. Or so I was told, I wasn't there.

Edit: I don't know why the number of age so big. Never quite understood it. It might be some kind of convention. I don't know.
That's sad, but sometimes it's the most humane option. He would only suffer and they helped him to be at peace :-/
My friend had to put down get dog because the dog had some kind of rare neurological disorder and would become paralysed. There were either no medications for it or they were incredibly expensive, I don't remember exactly.

Sometimes they say that each dog year is like 7 human years but it's probably just an urban legend.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
Sophia said:
That's sad, but sometimes it's the most humane option.
It is very sad, and I've been there... it had to be done to one of our dearly loved cats....:oldcry:
 
dlgoff said:
What? How about this? :devil:
I did like "Dark side of the moon" but in many ways this sort of music relates to what I really like in the same way that patterned wallpaper relates to great visual art, or in the way that eating chocolate relates to having a good meal. It can provide an enhancing backdrop to support words and sentiments, but the structure is repetitive and is often more to do with the atmosphere created by the sound than the structure of the work. Perhaps playing in performances of Shostakovich Symphony No 5 as a teenager has indeed imprinted my tastes, but I've found a lot of classical musicians who have similar tastes.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and dlgoff
OCR said:
It is very sad, and I've been there... it had to be done to one of our dearly loved cats....:oldcry:
:-( that must have been very painful :-( cats are such wonderful pets. How long did you have that cat and why did you have to do that?
 
fresh_42 said:
I still have to think about the live concert of Iggy I saw these days on TV. He's been 68 at the time (2015) and rocked the whole arena (in France). Similar could be said about Keith or Tina. I have serious doubts that something like this will be said about nowadays "stars" as Beyonce, Miley or He-who-must-not-be-named.

Other examples include Bruce Springsteen (67), Slayer (whose members are approaching the mark of 60) and AC/DC.
The latter I saw last year for their rock or bust tour and it was awesome. Top 3 of any show I've ever seen, easy.
 
dlgoff said:
What? How about this? :devil:


In the interest of reciprocity

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
JorisL said:
Other examples include Bruce Springsteen (67), Slayer (whose members are approaching the mark of 60) and AC/DC.
The latter I saw last year for their rock or bust tour and it was awesome. Top 3 of any show I've ever seen, easy.
And Lemmy Kilmister! May he rest in peace.
 
JorisL said:
Other examples include Bruce Springsteen (67), Slayer (whose members are approaching the mark of 60) and AC/DC.
The latter I saw last year for their rock or bust tour and it was awesome. Top 3 of any show I've ever seen, easy.
I saw the Police's concert and it was pretty much watered down, "muzaked" with any edginess or real emotion removed to (supposedly) please the audience.
 
Sophia said:
Sometimes they say that each dog year is like 7 human years but it's probably just an urban legend.
It's is roughly due to the simple division 70 / 10 (or 84 / 12 if you like). But in truth it's not linear. Dogs age faster when they are young and slower when getting old.
 
jim hardy said:
In the interest of reciprocity...
I can't say I'm a fan of doing that to Beethoven's 9th, although it's probably got a better melody than a lot of other popular music.

I made a mess of sight-reading the last few bars of the finale of Beethoven's 9th in the "Beethovathon" concert last year, although fortunately my mistakes were mostly drowned by those around me who had been able to attend the relevant rehearsal (which occurred on the same evening as an important rehearsal for my own orchestra). I guess it's good to remember that there are people who do much worse things to it!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, jim hardy and dlgoff
Jonathan Scott said:
Well, I mostly enjoy (and perform) music from the 1680s (e.g. Purcell) to the 1950s (e.g. Shostakovich Festive Overture), although there is some recent stuff I really like, such as the Star Wars music by John Williams (which is admittedly quite reminiscent of several early 20th century composers). Recent "music" is mostly too noisy, intrusive and monotonous for my taste, although some of it is fine.

I was referring mostly to pop music. It just seems like one of the statements that gets repeated every generation. "Today's people don't know what music is..."
 
WWGD said:
"Today's people don't know what music is..."
Of course they do. That's why they produce all these many covers of real music! :biggrin:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia
Sophia said:
That's sad, but sometimes it's the most humane option. He would only suffer and they helped him to be at peace :-/
My friend had to put down get dog because the dog had some kind of rare neurological disorder and would become paralysed. There were either no medications for it or they were incredibly expensive, I don't remember exactly.

Sometimes they say that each dog year is like 7 human years but it's probably just an urban legend.
I was thinking the exact same. It just doesn't make much sense to me to adjust a dog lifespan to a human lifespan. They are different creatures with different biology. If so, then we would/could adjust a fish lifespan and every other species lifespan to a human lifespan. Which doesn't strike much sense on me. Not that one cannot do it, but how accurate and how much scientific basis would it have? So yeah.
OCR said:
It is very sad, and I've been there... it had to be done to one of our dearly loved cats....:oldcry:
Was it old too and it could not recover from a disease?

I don't remember ever having a pet. Can't say how I feel about it. But if I get a bunny, I wouldn't want it to die.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia
Jonathan Scott said:
... but in many ways this sort of music relates to what I really like in the same way that patterned wallpaper relates to great visual art, ...
Excellent!
 
OCR said:
It is very sad, and I've been there... it had to be done to one of our dearly loved cats....:oldcry:

My wife and I had to have our 19 year old (real time years) female cat put down yesterday, it is painful, but watching it slowly fade in health was more trying on us. We are both getting on in years and taking care of ourselves now, should be our main (or only) priority. I firmly believe that indoor pets should be treated almost equal to family :smile:
 
RonL said:
My wife and I had to have our 19 year old (real time years) female cat put down yesterday, it is painful, but watching it slowly fade in health was more trying on us. We are both getting on in years and taking care of ourselves now, should be our main (or only) priority. I firmly believe that indoor pets should be treated almost equal to family [emoji2]
I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I'm sure you did what was best for her.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: RonL
I heard my local news today that someone had his/her $25,000 stolen via internet in the bank where I also save mine. What a bunch of "modern" starving monsters!