What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 759K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
How a Portuguese fishing village tamed a 100ft wave
https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20211031-how-a-portuguese-fishing-village-tamed-a-100ft-wave
https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20211031-how-a-portuguese-fishing-village-tamed-a-100ft-wave
Location, location, locationNazaré used to be a beach resort that emptied in winter. Now it's the epicentre of big wave surfing due to the skyscraper-sized waves generated by Europe's largest underwater canyon.
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
The recent pronouncement from Zuckerberg brought the Chronicles of Riddick to mind and the hero’s fight against the dark forces of the Underverse.
The Chronicles of Ridzuck and his battle with the Metaverse.
The Chronicles of Ridzuck and his battle with the Metaverse.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,661
- 4,509
And that article does a segue to how the Earth was weighed, and to the invention of those Contour Lines on a map.Astronuc said:How a Portuguese fishing village tamed a 100ft wave
https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20211031-how-a-portuguese-fishing-village-tamed-a-100ft-waveLocation, location, location
https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20211007-how-a-scottish-mountain-weighed-the-planet
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Wow, the things one remembers. I remember the weight isTom.G said:And that article does a segue to how the Earth was weighed, and to the invention of those Contour Lines on a map.
https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20211007-how-a-scottish-mountain-weighed-the-planet
##5.977 \times 10^{24}## kg.
Goes down a bit when many go on diets ;).
Edit: Not sure why my Latex is not rendering correctly.
Last edited:
- 20,819
- 28,467
No. It takes a reload of the page.WWGD said:Thanks. I had done that initially but it did not render. Maybe it takes a few seconds?
- 20,819
- 28,467
Ouch!WWGD said:Danke. Don't know how to do it from my Android. Will wait to get on my PC.
If your name was Sean, I would say Danke Sean~ Dankeshoen.
kyphysics
- 687
- 446
I've lost my sense of taste (and have some body aches and sniffles - could be the result of sprained neck and just common cold).
*wonders if there are any common "non-COVID" causes to be aware of for taste loss?*
*wonders if there are any common "non-COVID" causes to be aware of for taste loss?*
- 29,901
- 21,779
The summit of Schiehallion, March 2010:Tom.G said:And that article does a segue to how the Earth was weighed, and to the invention of those Contour Lines on a map.
https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20211007-how-a-scottish-mountain-weighed-the-planet
- 20,819
- 28,467
Do we have a TIR (today I recognized/remembered) thread somewhere?
I remembered that I carry a silver dollar in my wallet with me around.
I recognized that Céline Dion sounds like a construction worker. Is that Québec slang? And why is it far less vulgar if she sings french?
I remembered that I carry a silver dollar in my wallet with me around.
I recognized that Céline Dion sounds like a construction worker. Is that Québec slang? And why is it far less vulgar if she sings french?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Maybe Ctrl+F? I can't play Celine because for miles dogs start howling nonstop.fresh_42 said:Do we have a TIR (today I recognized/remembered) thread somewhere?
I remembered that I carry a silver dollar in my wallet with me around.
I recognized that Céline Dion sounds like a construction worker. Is that Québec slang? And why is it far less vulgar if she sings french?
- 20,819
- 28,467
WWGD said:Maybe Ctrl+F? I can't play Celine because for miles dogs start howling nonstop.
Yeah, normally I prefer soprano over contralto. But I guess that Callas won't be any better considering the dogs.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I hear dogs were confined as they were being tested for Covid. They were cleared , after which WHO led the dogs out.fresh_42 said:Yeah, normally I prefer soprano over contralto. But I guess that Callas won't be any better considering the dogs.
kyphysics
- 687
- 446
Is there a law of diminishing returns associated with Blu-Ray discs and players vs. DVDs (and players)?
The picture quality is better on Blu-Rays just as the resolution is better on a DVD vs. a VHS tape. Yes, Blu-Rays usually cost more than DVDs (not always), but they are not as widely adopted. And that has a feedback loop into less content being printed on Blu-Rays, which means there is even less reason to buy them vs. DVDs.
But, what's the reason for this? Is it that the marginal improvement in picture quality is not worth the cost?
The picture quality is better on Blu-Rays just as the resolution is better on a DVD vs. a VHS tape. Yes, Blu-Rays usually cost more than DVDs (not always), but they are not as widely adopted. And that has a feedback loop into less content being printed on Blu-Rays, which means there is even less reason to buy them vs. DVDs.
But, what's the reason for this? Is it that the marginal improvement in picture quality is not worth the cost?
kyphysics
- 687
- 446
Also, why do record stores still exist (even if rare), but not VHS tape stores? People still collect records in the age of CDs and digital copies of music. Why one medium and not others?
Keith_McClary
- 752
- 1,507
I had to fire up the VHS because someone wanted to watch an ancient tape of a school play. Took me quite a few minutes to remember how get it working.kyphysics said:VHS tape

Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
Every new thing introduced to the market goes through a period of being better than everything else and consumers deciding if it’s better enough. The VHS and Betamax wars for dominance bear out how one technology gets adopted over another..
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Isn't that what they call the product life cycle?jedishrfu said:Every new thing introduced to the market goes through a period of being better than everything else and consumers deciding if it’s better enough. The VHS and Betamax wars for dominance bear out how one technology gets adopted over another..
- 1,098
- 1,385
There's something rather therapeutic about watching people wrecking their bakes...
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
@ergospherical Sadly your video playback has been blocked in the US based on copyright grounds.
- 29,901
- 21,779
If you're disappointed to miss The Great British Bake Off, then the TV schedules in the US must be worse than I imagined.jedishrfu said:@ergospherical Sadly your video playback has been blocked in the US based on copyright grounds.
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
Its not the TV schedules, it was someone posted it on youtube which blocked it on copyright grounds.
Now that know the name, I guess I can find the video or something similar from the official youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+great+british+bake+off
Now that know the name, I guess I can find the video or something similar from the official youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+great+british+bake+off
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2