What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 759K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
But wait... Windows does not consider Outlook a trusted site.ergospherical said:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Sign of the times:
Use site so and so to fact check.
Then check whether fact check site is accurate. Sites differ in their assessment. Some claim it is, other say it isn't. Then check the fact checkers of the fact checkers for accuracy/bias...
Use site so and so to fact check.
Then check whether fact check site is accurate. Sites differ in their assessment. Some claim it is, other say it isn't. Then check the fact checkers of the fact checkers for accuracy/bias...
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
A recent article in Ars Technica interviews a hacker who worked for Koala Media. Koala was instrumental in weaving a complex web of sites referencing one another spewing nonsensical fake news with a decided political tilt that looked legit To Facebook and readers.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
Washington Post: 48 hours to live: An Oklahoma hospital's rush to find an ICU bed for a Covid patient
https://news.yahoo.com/48-hours-live-oklahoma-hospitals-135102615.htmlA "transfer coordinator at Stillwater Medical Center, was working fast to try to find an ICU bed at a larger hospital for Johnnie Novotny, a 69-year-old retired gas plant operator who had developed a hematoma and needed more specialized care than doctors at this modest rural hospital could provide." Novotny had been admitted to hospital on July 24. By the evening of August 6, Novotny had developed the hematoma, and the hospital did not have a specialist who could perform the appropriate treatment.
". . . she was rapidly running through the Oklahoma hospitals on her list. She called the state's medical emergency response center for help, and a coordinator there agreed to call hospitals in Missouri and Arkansas." The transfer coordinator even reached out to a hospital in Olathe, Kansas 300 miles away. She received a 'maybe' followed two hours later by a decline.
Oklahoma population fully vaccinated: 49% NY TimesOklahoma was on the cusp of a summer surge that would peak Aug. 30, with new cases averaging about 2,800 a day. Intensive care unit admissions soared to an all-time high during the first two weeks of August, at a time when the average length of stay for a Covid patient increased significantly, overwhelming ICUs, according to Dr. David Kendrick, chairman of the Department of Medical Informatics at the University of Oklahoma. More than 1,500 Oklahomans died of Covid in August and September alone as the state's pandemic death toll exceeded 9,402 (WP reports 10,600 fatalities). More than half the state still is not fully vaccinated.
In Payne County, where Stillwater is located, only 35% of the population was fully vaccinated when Novotny became ill in mid-July, and the delta variant was spreading so rapidly that the mayor declared a state of emergency Sept. 3.
Mayhem
- 441
- 326
Grading bad assignments is so much worse than grading good assignments.
- 19,385
- 15,622
Then don't give bad assignments !Mayhem said:Grading bad assignments is so much worse than grading good assignments.
Mayhem
- 441
- 326
I'm just a TA don't give me flack lolphinds said:Then don't give bad assignments !![]()
- 20,819
- 28,467
I have a similar problem. I read a movie title "the challenge" (or similar) as "the curvature". Another mentor advised me to get a hobby. Well, I thought PF was one. Seems to be wrong. Guess, I will follow his advice.Rive said:I'm OLD.
I've just come across some news about Win11.
What I've (mis)read there was Win3.11![]()
What is better: cold deprivation or sneak out?
Mayhem
- 441
- 326
You could replace the alien spaceship controls in a sci-fi movie with gCOSY plots and no one would be able to tell.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,661
- 4,509
That dichotomy assumes that at least one of them is "Good" (in some sense or another), an assumption with which I disagree.fresh_42 said:What is better: cold deprivation or sneak out?
What Google says about "hobby":
1. an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure
[/size]
- 20,819
- 28,467
Not if "Get a hobby" is meant to shut you down. It was the second time within 8 days this person used an ad hominem attack to shut me down. The first time he said I should shut up because of Germany's Nazi past.Tom.G said:What Google says about "hobby":
Is it possible to say: "Go away!" more clearly than that? I'm not eager to get insulted once a week. My problem is that I have math problems prepared until the end of the year and I don't want to waste the effort.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,661
- 4,509
fresh_42 said:It was the second time within 8 days this person used an ad hominem attack to shut me down. The first time he said I should shut up because of Germany's Nazi past.
Not many here would cry if that individual was formally warned... then banned upon a repeat performance.
In a workplace, that is called "Harassment."
From the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission:
https://www.eeoc.gov/harassment
(emphasis added)Harassment is unwelcome conduct that is based on race, color, religion, sex (including sexual orientation, gender identity, or pregnancy), national origin, older age...
- 20,819
- 28,467
I don't know why you call it mustache. I find our solution better: snot brake.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Shaquille?
- 20,819
- 28,467
Mine is far too small.WWGD said:Hopefully a coincidence. Someone check his freezer. Pronto!
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2

