What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 753K views
Met this guy in his 70s. He's healthy mentally and physically. He inherited some money and now he's considering doing a PhD in either Physics or Greek Studies. He ask my advice after finding out I had a degree. No clue what to tell him.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Tell him to go for it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and BillTre
Borg said:
Tell him to go for it.
I did. Interestingly, he appreciated me listening to him and gave me...a bottle of Mayo, one of Mustard and an A.1 Steak Sauce. I told him " Ah, I guess you just came from shopping?". He replied: " No, why?" ?
 
WWGD said:
I did. Interestingly, he appreciated me listening to him and gave me...a bottle of Mayo, one of Mustard and an A.1 Steak Sauce. I told him " Ah, I guess you just came from shopping?". He replied: " No, why?" ?
I don't mean to imply he's insane or something, I just found it a bit unusual.
 
WWGD said:
I don't mean to imply he's insane or something, I just found it a bit unusual.
I would lead with that next time.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and WWGD
Borg said:
I would lead with that next time.
Next time? He should bring steak and salad. In case you didn't get the hint, @WWGD .
 
fresh_42 said:
Next time? He should bring steak and salad.
So many times someone brings a t-shirt that reads something like " I love Chocolate"
and I fail to bring mine that reads
" So do I".
 
fresh_42 said:
Oh, dear! I'm getting old. I have forgotten Hungary. It has ö and ü plus similar accents like French which count as extra letters: three versions of ö and three versions of ü. And of course, Turkish has lots of ü, and ö, too.
Ö is used a lot in swedish. Same with Å and Ä.
∅ empyt set, is norwegian Ö.
Swedish set theory be like Ö##\cup##Ö ##=## Ö
 
malawi_glenn said:
Ö is used a lot in swedish. Same with Å and Ä.
∅ empyt set, is norwegian Ö.
Swedish set theory be like Ö##\cup##Ö ##=## Ö
Geschmortes Brot says it all.
 
Ibix said:
A Møøse once bit my sister...
Älg

Pretty scary creatures, "king of the forest" we call them here
 
Ibix said:
A Møøse once bit my sister...
This isn't funny. We just learned that it is pronounced with an ö, and this is a word that would require a serious warning for profanity.
 
fresh_42 said:
This isn't funny. We just learned that it is pronounced with an ö, and this is a word that would require a serious warning for profanity.
It's a reference to the closing credits of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which go off on an absurdist tangent about moose. My knowledge of German profanity is quite limited - if I've hit on something rude by accident feel free to delete.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
Ibix said:
It's a reference to the closing credits of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which go off on an absurdist tangent about moose. My German profanity is quite limited - if I've hit on something rude by accident feel free to delete.
Nonsense. I was joking. But it is a very nasty word for a female body part.

I once was handed a shot by Hungarian-speaking relatives of my then-girlfriend in Romania. I speak neither language. So I didn't understand the "cheers" and thought I was asked to say the German word for it. I did. It turned out that it meant "idiot" in Romanian. So instead of lifting my glass with a loud "cheers" I accidentally lifted it with a loud "idiot".
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
Nonsense. I was joking. But it is a very nasty word for a female body part.

I once was handed a shot by Hungarian-speaking relatives of my then-girlfriend in Romania. I speak neither language. So I didn't understand the "cheers" and thought I was asked to say the German word for it. I did. It turned out that it meant "idiot" in Romanian. So instead of lifting my glass with a loud "cheers" I accidentally lifted it with a loud "idiot".
First time I was in poland, I thought everybody was so nice they kept saying "tack" all the time, which means "thanks" in swedish. But it actually meant "yes" in polish...
 
malawi_glenn said:
Ö is used a lot in swedish. Same with Å and Ä.
∅ empyt set, is norwegian Ö.
Swedish set theory be like Ö##\cup##Ö ##=## Ö
Fun fact. Common Swedish student expression in class is also Öööööööööö.
 
Orodruin said:
Fun fact. Common Swedish student expression in class is also Öööööööööö.
My students only says "Ååååååå" during my classes ;)
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
malawi_glenn said:
My students only says "Ååååååå" during my classes ;)
That much pain?
 
Orodruin said:
Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Pain is temporary, glory is eternal
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Languages are funny. I observed that there is a big difference between Europeans and Americans. We are so used to changing the language every few hundred kilometers, dialects often within dozens of kilometers or even less, that it is completely normal to meet people who speak something entirely ununderstandable. I even have this experience when I go to the grocery store. Americans usually simply expect English.
 
fresh_42 said:
I once was handed a shot by Hungarian-speaking relatives of my then-girlfriend in Romania. I speak neither language. So I didn't understand the "cheers" and thought I was asked to say the German word for it. I did. It turned out that it meant "idiot" in Romanian. So instead of lifting my glass with a loud "cheers" I accidentally lifted it with a loud "idiot".
I once was explaining in Spanish to a guest that we had goat's milk in the fridge. Unfortunately, I mixed up the word for goat with another word (almost the same except for the ending) which means either "dude" or a mild insult depending on where you're from - either way, you don't get milk from 'em. That was nearly twenty years ago, and I still occasionally get reminded of it...
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: berkeman and fresh_42
Ibix said:
I once was explaining in Spanish to a guest that we had goat's milk in the fridge. Unfortunately, I mixed up the word for goat with another word (almost the same except for the ending) which means either "dude" or a mild insult depending on where you're from - either way, you don't get milk from 'em. That was nearly twenty years ago, and I still occasionally get reminded of it...
Reminds me of that scene in "Kingpin" with Woody Harrelson
1659995551977.png
 
fresh_42 said:
Languages are funny. I observed that there is a big difference between Europeans and Americans. We are so used to changing the language every few hundred kilometers, dialects often within dozens of kilometers or even less, that it is completely normal to meet people who speak something entirely ununderstandable. I even have this experience when I go to the grocery store. Americans usually simply expect English.
It's interesting how much you can understand if you know bits and pieces of various languages. I know a few words in German and French, a bit more in Russian, and I'm pretty fluent in Spanish. A lot of European languages have at least something in common with one of those, and with a bit of patience and educated guesswork you can read quite a lot of simple stuff.

I found the Netherlands very frustrating, though. Every time I see Dutch written I feel like I ought to be able to understand it a lot better than I can...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
Internet down in Scotland today. No access to LAN for the McLachlan Clan.
 
fresh_42 said:
But [Moose] is a very nasty word for a female body part.
TIL! (Even Google didn't really help me.)

But I must have led a very sheltered life. I've never met a female who looked like... that. :eek:
 
malawi_glenn said:
Pain is temporary, glory is eternal
Pain is temporary, but lengthy. Death is eternal. (There's a reason he/she/it is called the "Angel" of Death.)
 
strangerep said:
TIL! (Even Google didn't really help me.)

But I must have led a very sheltered life. I've never met a female who looked like... that. :eek:
To find moose, you need to shower, dress up and go out. Neither PF nor Google will help you!
 
Ibix said:
I once was explaining in Spanish to a guest that we had goat's milk in the fridge. Unfortunately, I mixed up the word for goat with another word (almost the same except for the ending) which means either "dude" or a mild insult depending on where you're from - either way, you don't get milk from 'em. That was nearly twenty years ago, and I still occasionally get reminded of it...
Leche de cabron?