What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 763K views
WWGD said:
I'm curious about yogurt spoiling. Isn't it essentially spoiled milk to start with?
I guess spomilk didn't sell well.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
I'm curious about yogurt spoiling. Isn't it essentially spoiled milk to start with?
And, can blue cheese go bad?
GorgonzolaDSC4233.jpg
 
Does caffeine make you anxious? Whenever I haven’t eaten very much but have had a couple of coffees/teas, I’ve noticed experiencing a strange, unexplained uneasy/nervous feeling. Especially during the late afternoon!
 
ergospherical said:
Does caffeine make you anxious? Whenever I haven’t eaten very much but have had a couple of coffees/teas, I’ve noticed experiencing a strange, unexplained uneasy/nervous feeling. Especially during the late afternoon!
I think in an empty stomach acid attacks the lining. Maybe our official bio department of RT :@Bill Tre can confirm?
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
I remember a day in the office that got a bit heated. Then a friend of mine said:
"We won't do anything of that now. Fresh, you will first eat something!"
 
fresh_42 said:
I remember a day in the office that got a bit heated. Then a friend of mine said:
"We won't do anything of that now. Fresh, you will first eat something!"
Have a Snickers bar!
 
Wonder whether claims that Persian blinds help isolate from all of noise, cold weather and hot weather.
Reminds me of the joke: How do you make a Persian blind? You poke them in the eye.
 
WWGD said:
I think in an empty stomach acid attacks the lining. Maybe our official bio department of RT :@Bill Tre can confirm?
I think caffeine is supposed to stimulate acid release in the stomach.
This could be a stomach irritant.
Eat something for the acids to act upon (like protein) or something antacid-like. .
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
W
BillTre said:
I think caffeine is supposed to stimulate acid release in the stomach.
This could be a stomach irritant.
Eat something for the acids to act upon (like protein) or something antacid-like. .
Would a base neutralize the acid?
 
Teacher:" Unlike double-negatives, double-positives don't cancel each other out".

Student:" Yeah, right!".
 
WWGD said:
Would a base neutralize the acid?
Other than being widely spread: bleach doesn't really help. Not against Covid, and not against the 5% HCl in your stomach.
 
WWGD said:
Would a base neutralize the acid?
Yes, but not the way its done.
Eat a buffer instead of a base (like tums).
It won't be a strong base going down your throat.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and WWGD
BillTre said:
Yes, but not the way its done.
Eat a buffer instead of a base (like tums).
It won't be a strong base going down your throat.
But baseball players don't have acid problem and they use 4 bases!
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
WWGD said:
But baseball players don't have acid problem and they use 4 bases!
But only in fields. It's different in towns.
 
fresh_42 said:
But only in fields. It's different in towns.
I think it's true too over Division Rings.
 
A chess variation: every time you capture one of your opponent's pieces, you drink a number of shots proportional to the points value of that piece.
 
ergospherical said:
A chess variation: every time you capture one of your opponent's pieces, you drink a number of shots proportional to the points value of that piece.
alcohol-battle-cognac-vs-vodka-1396680.jpg
 
  • Haha
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and ergospherical
ergospherical said:
A chess variation: every time you capture one of your opponent's pieces, you drink a number of shots proportional to the points value of that piece.
That reminds me of what we played at university. The setup is two, three, better four chessboards in a series with alternating colors, each equipped with a clock, and the play modus was five minutes each blitz chess. Players on the same side of the table(s) built a team.

Now here comes the special rule: every piece that was taken from a board by somebody was handed over to your right (or left) neighbor with opposite colors, defined as a cycle in case of four or eight players, and usually on demand in case of six players. The pieces someone received could be set onto the board instead of a move. I recommend playing it with the extra rule that pieces cannot be inserted with checkmate. You would be surprised by the new strategies these rules allow. It usually took a minute or so, until someone shouted "Material, I need material!" or if someone sacrificed his pieces such that his neighbors could easily win. The latter was mainly used in the odd setup with six players.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
Last time i played chess, i lost in less than three minutes, less than probably ten movements. I have decided to not play anymore :V
 
fresh_42 said:
Now here comes the special rule: every piece that was taken from a board by somebody was handed over to your right (or left) neighbor with opposite colors, defined as a cycle in case of four or eight players, and usually on demand in case of six players. The pieces someone received could be set onto the board instead of a move. I recommend playing it with the extra rule that pieces cannot be inserted with checkmate. You would be surprised by the new strategies these rules allow. It usually took a minute or so, until someone shouted "Material, I need material!" or if someone sacrificed his pieces such that his neighbors could easily win. The latter was mainly used in the odd setup with six players.

That sounds mildly chaotic! There was one guy in my practical classes who brought a 4-player chess set for the lunch break a couple of times, and it mostly just confused everybody. Without knowing the strategy it's a lot of shooting in the dark, and the lunch break was far too short to get close to finishing the match.
 
ergospherical said:
That sounds mildly chaotic!
Sounds more complicated than it is. The chess rules are the same, and five minutes each is by itself a bit chaotic, especially towards the end. The additional pieces are strange, but it's a lot of fun!

Another version we played (in order to level different skills, and/or to allow others to play with the limited resources as well) was what we called stairway-blitz. The match started with five minutes each, and the winner had to play with a minute less in the next game. The winner was who first had no time left.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
Projection Maps and emails. ## P^2= P ##. Which means I select a bunch of messages and send ( project) into a folder F. Now I go back and see some more to send to folder F. Then more. Never ends... Then I realize I was selecting mails from folder F...to move to folder F.
 
A few awkward moments. First, I told someone thoughtlessly, that after finishing his task, he would be able to " Rest in Peace". Then someone asked me if I listen to books. Forgetting about books on tape, I replied " Well, I've put a few close to my ear, but I did not hear anything". Kind of an average week.
 
Today's date in sortable yyyymmdd format is 20211202 which is a palindrome. Next one in that form is not until 20300302. There are various palindromes in other date formats this month.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, collinsmark, Borg and 1 other person
Yesterday was 12121 in a slightly different format.
Two in a row!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
FB_IMG_1638513078588.jpg

This one is floating around social media. Kind of cool I guess.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and collinsmark
It's slightly amusing that at the chess world championships there are these large stints where both players have just decided to f*ck off somewhere else. :oldbiggrin:

1638749261048.png


(Then again I don't blame them, having to sit down and stare at a board for that many hours and days in a row would drive anyone slightly stir-crazy.)
 
ergospherical said:
It's slightly amusing that at the chess world championships there are these large stints where both players have just decided to f*ck off somewhere else. :oldbiggrin:

View attachment 293654

(Then again I don't blame them, having to sit down and stare at a board for that many hours and days in a row would drive anyone slightly stir-crazy.)
No wonder they ( SNL) use cheerleaders for chess!