What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 763K views
WWGD said:
Ah, 24/7/365. Good deal. And I guess not too far from the dorms. Don't want to be biking nor driving with 10 min sleep, I guess.
So good deal that Cambford ( or was it Oxbridge?) has a 24/7/365 library system.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing like a bit of late night camaraderie at the lib - once you get into the silly hours, nobody wants to be the weakling who buckles and staggers home before sunrise. It's all or nothing, my friend. :oldruck:
 
ergospherical said:
Nothing like a bit of late night camaraderie at the lib - once you get into the silly hours, nobody wants to be the weakling who buckles and staggers home before sunrise. It's all or nothing, my friend. :oldruck:

Reminds me of this scene from the movie "Real Genius"...



1643930383511.png
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
Wasn't Val Kilmer in it?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
WWGD said:
Wasn't Val Kilmer in it?
Yep, that's him in the 2nd picture with his left hand on his forehead. He was perfect for the part. So unlucky what has happened to him in later life.
 
berkeman said:
Yep, that's him in the 2nd picture with his left hand on his forehead. He was perfect for the part. So unlucky what has happened to him in later life.
He looks like a whole different person after the throat cancer.
 
I at the McDoof drive-through counter:
"Two cheeseburgers, ..."
"I don't have cheeseburgers. Not until 10."
"But it is only 3 minutes to go!"
"Yes."

I, thinking of ...



"O.k. Then I get nothing."
(Someone else will get the deal.)
 
fresh_42 said:
I at the McDoof drive-through counter:
"Two cheeseburgers, ..."
"I don't have cheeseburgers. Not until 10."
"But it is only 3 minutes to go!"
"Yes."

I, thinking of ...



"O.k. Then I get nothing."
(Someone else will get the deal.)

Towards the end, when he realizes he's being sought after by the cops:
"Wait a minute: I'm the bad guy? ..."
 
So I'm having trouble with my phone's transition to 5G. So I email a few people to let them know that until further notice it would be better if they instead use email, o maybe texting ( some texts get through). Then I repeatedly get texts from them: "Please call me"

Wonder how many people pay attention.
 
Lady slaps her hyperactive kid at the supermarket, then shouts at him " Relax !".

Poor kid will have a strange understanding of the term 'Relax'.
 
How FedEx has gotten into the charming habit of leaving stickers without names on them. Just a sticker with an alpha numeric string.
And I feel like Michael Douglas in Falling Down, as depicted by @fresh_42 a few posts above.
 
WWGD said:
Is it a real ad , or a spoof?
I know what I hope the answer is. I have a nasty feeling I'm wrong, after a bit of Googling.
 
Ibix said:
I know what I hope the answer is. I have a nasty feeling I'm wrong, after a bit of Googling.
Given the previous one on the subway add...But, hey, all in good fun since this is not an acdemic setting. Just curious.
 
Frosty the slaw man isn't real and can't hurt you, they say.

Meanwhile, frosty the slaw man:
1644185596344.png
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hamiltonian, collinsmark, WWGD and 1 other person
I once knew a guy who said that he won't buy anything that is advertised in a way that implies they think he as a consumer is stupid.

Meanwhile, I wonder if he ever bought anything.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix and berkeman
ergospherical said:
Frosty the slaw man isn't real and can't hurt you, they say.

Meanwhile, frosty the slaw man:
View attachment 296710
Same for his sweet cousins
main-qimg-4a1baee79fcf856fd2baeb9bfa7c5e8a-lq.jpeg
 
Wonder if Relational Algebra used in Sql is an actual topic in Mathematics or just a relaxed use of the term ' Algebra'.
 
So fed up with uni. There should be a 2 week mandatory vacation after exam period ends. I'll gladly take it out of my way-too-long summer vacation.
 
Argh! Just missed my train because the train company "improved" their app. It definitely looks prettier, but it's a lot easier to accidentally find train times for the journey in the other direction. I knew the times didn't look right...
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
Ibix said:
Argh! Just missed my train because the train company "improved" their app. It definitely looks prettier, but it's a lot easier to accidentally find train times for the journey in the other direction. I knew the times didn't look right...
Oof. How long's the wait - and can you transfer your ticket?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
ergospherical said:
Oof. How long's the wait - and can you transfer your ticket?
Season ticket, and I have no set start time at work, so there's no major problem for me beyond concerns about how sane I looked standing on the platform muttering blackly to myself. I'm just annoyed that the "upgraded" app is less usable, IMO.

It has a "pinned journies" section that shows all trains leaving station X for station Y in the next hour and any delays or cancellations. Great. On the old app I had home to work and work to home set up. But on the new app I can't have reciprocal journies pinned. Instead, I pin one journey and there's a button to switch which direction it's displaying - which means that instead of just glancing at the first pinned journey in the morning and the second in the evening I now have to look carefully at my one pinned journey and check it's actually the journey I want.

I'll get used to it I'm sure (I only started commuting again last week), but they're kind of missing the point of pinned journies IMO. They're the ones I want to see quickly on the app without any messing around.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
Modern Times!

It started months ago and I didn't pay much attention to it. But they increased their frequency and it is becoming annoying. I am bombarded by emails ...

Settle Your IRS Tax Debt - Free Consultancy

I didn't even know I had IRS debts.
 
Ibix said:
Season ticket, and I have no set start time at work, so there's no major problem for me beyond concerns about how sane I looked standing on the platform muttering blackly to myself. I'm just annoyed that the "upgraded" app is less usable, IMO.

It has a "pinned journies" section that shows all trains leaving station X for station Y in the next hour and any delays or cancellations. Great. On the old app I had home to work and work to home set up. But on the new app I can't have reciprocal journies pinned. Instead, I pin one journey and there's a button to switch which direction it's displaying - which means that instead of just glancing at the first pinned journey in the morning and the second in the evening I now have to look carefully at my one pinned journey and check it's actually the journey I want.

I'll get used to it I'm sure (I only started commuting again last week), but they're kind of missing the point of pinned journies IMO. They're the ones I want to see quickly on the app without any messing around.
Some times companies seem to feel the need to always be changing something, I guess to make themselves feel more dynamic. Then they make changes to things that are working and make them worse.
 
WWGD said:
Some places companies seem to feel the need to always be changing something, I guess to make themselves feel more dynamic. Then they make changes to things that are working and make them worse.
We even have a verb for this!
 
fresh_42 said:
We even have a verb for this!
Which is?
 
I feel too lazy to look up if ' Neanderthals' is an anagram of ' Netherlaands'.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
fresh_42 said:
Settle Your IRS Tax Debt - Free Consultancy
This is a plague in Canada. They claim to be CRS and demand immediate payment. They target immigrants.